Popcorn Painted Ceiling - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

popcorn painted ceiling

We are trying to paint this popcorn ceiling but when you use a roller the ceiling peels off

Advertisement

Kaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #2

popcorn painted ceiling

[quote=Kaff;1060839]We are trying to paint this popcorn ceiling but when you use a roller the ceiling peels off. We can use a regular paint brush but that would take forever. I did go back up and touch up the places where the paint was peeling. What do you suggest?

Advertisement

Kaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

popcorn painted ceiling

Use the search engine to explore many threads on this topic. With few exception popcorn ceilings are the work of the devil. They were a quick way to finish ceilings, often without taped joints and usually without primer. Pellets were mixed in with the cheapest of ceiling paints and sprayed on.

What you are experiencing is not uncommon. When trying to paint them, especially with a roller, you want to minimize going back and forth. Even then, the surface tension will pull the popcorn off in sheets if it has dried out and its adhesion to ceiling is failing.

Your problem now is you have missing chunks you are going to have to try and blend in? Those pressurized cans of stuff are outrageously expensive and near worthless. You can buy polystyrene pellets to mix into paint in an effort to blend in but again, the more you work on the ceiling the more likely it is to fall apart more.

By far your best option is to bite the bullet and get rid of the stuff. I think you will find that if you work in small sections and wet the popcorn, it will come off fairly easily with a wide drywall blade. As I remember, most posts to similar threads encourage this course of action.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

popcorn painted ceiling

The first thing we did when we moved into our house was remove that vile stuff....it actually came off easy......and exposed the big cracks they were trying to hide.....

Remove it....yea, it's messy and a lot of work...but your optiions after that are really wide....

In our case, we covered it with ceiling paper (my wife is English.....it's an English thing they do)

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,218

popcorn painted ceiling

Take it all down. You have already found out how easy it falls off.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

popcorn painted ceiling

Kaff.....just in case you do take it off and want an easy way to cover any hairline cracks....this is what our ceiling looks like...

Once you have scraped it off....you take a wet sponge and just wipe the roof clean.....then sand.....fill in any holes and cracks with mud....one last sand and wipe....put up ceiling paper...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,662

popcorn painted ceiling

The only way you can paint it I know of is use Gardz sprayed on first to seal it or paint it with a sprayer.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

popcorn painted ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
The only way you can paint it I know of is use Gardz sprayed on first to seal it or paint it with a sprayer.
Still have to pray it is still adhering to what is underneath. Gardz will not fix that.

Spraying it obviously eliminates the surface tension caused by the roller cover but if it is failing, it will come back to haunt you from now forward.

Just get rid of it.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #9

popcorn painted ceiling

I totally agree on remove but sometimes they want to keep it because it matches the rest of the house. But I believe the failure is due to trying to paint with a water based paint and that softens it. In fact water is what we use to remove it. Of course now the problem is to repair what has come off or removal. One thing to keep in mind once painted it's a LOT harder to remove. The reason to spray the Gardz on is to seal it so the moisture from the paint can't get to the popcorn.

Last edited by ToolSeeker; 11-26-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #10

popcorn painted ceiling

I tore ours out lay some tarps, it comes off easy. We also had a large crack that was hidden from a door slamming. It sucked but looks way better now
Dtownartluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 512

popcorn painted ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
I totally agree on remove but sometimes they want to keep it because it matches the rest of the house. But I believe the failure is due to trying to paint with a water based paint and that softens it. In fact water is what we use to remove it. Of course now the problem is to repair what has come off or removal. One thing to keep in mind once painted it's a LOT harder to remove. The reason to spray the Gardz on is to seal it so the moisture from the paint can't get to the popcorn.
THat is exactly right. Water in the paint reactivates uncoated popcorn texture and the roller motion will bring it down. You have to either roll it with oil paint, or spray it with either water based or oil paint. After that it will be sealed and then it can be rolled in the future. I have been through this exact thing many times.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (11-27-2012)
Old 11-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
Drywall Texture Pro in Fl

Rewards Points: 154

popcorn painted ceiling

You don't put a roller on popcorn ever.

rent a airless sprayer for a couple days. spray one coat on the popcorn.. it needs to soak into the popcorn ceiling because it is water based.. it then needs to dry to adhear to the drywall underneath the popcorn.. after it drys thoroughly, spray another coat in the opposite direction.. this will in most cases make it stay on the ceiling without ever falling. the draw back is, it will also make it very hard to remove one day.

It doesnt matter what type of paint you put on there because once the material in the popcorn is wet, it will no longer adhere as well until it drys. and remember only one coat, in one direction as a base coat.. a good primer paint will work on this..
ToolSeeker (12-01-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 05:53 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,218

popcorn painted ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoner529 View Post
You don't put a roller on popcorn ever.

rent a airless sprayer for a couple days. spray one coat on the popcorn.. it needs to soak into the popcorn ceiling because it is water based.. it then needs to dry to adhear to the drywall underneath the popcorn.. after it drys thoroughly, spray another coat in the opposite direction.. this will in most cases make it stay on the ceiling without ever falling. the draw back is, it will also make it very hard to remove one day.

It doesnt matter what type of paint you put on there because once the material in the popcorn is wet, it will no longer adhere as well until it drys. and remember only one coat, in one direction as a base coat.. a good primer paint will work on this..
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:29 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,000

popcorn painted ceiling

This all goes to prove what I've always believed, popcorn was, is, and always will be a horrible choice of covering. And not just from the maintenance standpoint, but that's a personal opinion. It's the least servicable choice. The only job I will even consider when it comes to popcorn is removing it, and I don't even like that. I'm just glad it never gained popularity for walls, at least here in the smooth wall region.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #15

popcorn painted ceiling

I was on another forum or maybe just another thread and said about the same thing and was shocked when I was chastised from people saying it was popular in their area and they were still installing it. If memory serves me well (probably not) 1 area was in alabama. Go figure.

Advertisement