Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #1

Share |

Popcorn masonry Ceiling - How to cover?

So I have the popcorn/cottage cheese on an apartment I wanted to cover. The thing is it's almost like a stucco, or plaster. It's really hard and can't just be scraped. The building is from 1964

The good thing is the bumps are not very big like typical scrapable popcorn ceiling. So I was thinking it could be covered with a thick textured paint?

I was wondering if that would make sense to paint a coat or more of textured paint or possibly have someone spray it?

Any recommendations?

crayola110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
Painting Contractor

A thick paint will still just photograph the surface and retain the highs and lows. It sounds like the acoustic ceiling has been painted several times already if it is a hard surface now. Also with the age of the acoustic it is highly probable that it has asbestos in it, so you would not want to remove it anyway. You should have it tested for asbestos before trying any removal. It is illegal to dump or remove without a licensed asbestos removal contractor in California.
A quick and economical way to cover it is to sheetrock over it with a thin (1/4 inch) sheetrock. You will have a new surface and can have whatever kind of texture you want on it. Drywall is one of the more affordable trades to hire, with the most bang for you buck.

Last edited by kkeith; 11-22-2013 at 01:40 PM.
kkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #3

Not sure what you up against material wise but I found a real easy way to drop pop corn texture. Use a roller very wet with water. Once the moisture soaks in a bit the texture starts falling off with the second or third "coat" of water.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #4

Ya. It's not typical popcorn ceiling I've had it scrapped before.

This is either stucco, plaster or some cement material.

It is like outdoor stucco. You can't even put a nail through easily. I thought maybe there was an easier way to just cover it without having to install drywall.

I don't plan on removing it because I would literally need to chisle it. But possibly covering it with drywall might be the way to go. Thanks.
crayola110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #5

I've painted many "low profile" popcorn ceilings like you describe. Much easier to paint than typical popcorn with all the "seeds". A simple coat of ceiling paint is all you need to freshen it up. If it is indeed a cementious type coating you may find you have to PREdrill through the drywall AND the material to get your drywall screws into the framing.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #6

At first I felt it was just painted popcorn, but now not sure. As GYM said if you want to keep the texture you can just paint it. If it's that hard skim coating is another option if you want to remove the texture look. Would really like to see a couple pics maybe we can figure out what it is.

ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote