Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #1

Share |

Popcorn ceiling paint

Hi. I just closed in my new house today! I was curious on what kind of paint is best to paint on top of a popcorn ceiling?

-Brad- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Popcorn ceiling paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Brad- View Post
Hi. I just closed in my new house today! I was curious on what kind of paint is best to paint on top of a popcorn ceiling?
None. The best thing to do is remove the popcorn texture, and paint the ceiling.

Also, I know it's not likely that you want to do that. So... Realistically, you cannot really paint that stuff. It will crumble off if you're trying to use a brush or roller. If you feel you must paint it, about the only thing that might work is to spray it.

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #3

Popcorn ceiling paint

Wow. Thank god I asked. The first project would have went bad quick hahaha. Thanks alot
Old 10-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

Popcorn ceiling paint

I am not as Dire as the good DR. Paint the stuff all the time.
But there are some truths to what he said-
First- try and determine if it has already been painted. If it has- you are good to go. Lightly run your hand over it- if it easily crumbles and falls- it has not been painted.
If it's raw- spraying is the best because the moisture in the paint CAN ( not always) loosen it up and it will come off in chunks.
There are tricks to painting ceilings, and the main one is use plenty of paint and a 1/2-3/4 " roller cover if rolling.
I usually use Ben Moore Muresco or Ultra Spec flat. And I loosen them up a bit with a splash of water.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
A Little Of Everything

Popcorn ceiling paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
I am not as Dire as the good DR. Paint the stuff all the time.
But there are some truths to what he said-
First- try and determine if it has already been painted. If it has- you are good to go. Lightly run your hand over it- if it easily crumbles and falls- it has not been painted.
If it's raw- spraying is the best because the moisture in the paint CAN ( not always) loosen it up and it will come off in chunks.
There are tricks to painting ceilings, and the main one is use plenty of paint and a 1/2-3/4 " roller cover if rolling.
I usually use Ben Moore Muresco or Ultra Spec flat. And I loosen them up a bit with a splash of water
Dang - you are a heckuva lot better painter than I am! I've never done anything but gotten really angry when trying to pain that stuff.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #6

Popcorn ceiling paint

I have done them too and hate them.........mainly because you will use 3 to 4 times as much paint compared to a flat ceiling.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
Wire Chewer

Popcorn ceiling paint

You can paint it fine, go to a paint store and ask them for a roller that will work well on it. It will be more fluffy. I have popcorn ceiling throughout all my house and while I wanted to remove it it just proved to be unrealistic so I painted over it.

Also another thing to keep in mind is if they put popcorn ceiling chances are the drywall job is not the best as they did not bother perfecting it. Popcorn was often used as a way to make it so you don't see imperfections.

Here's my ceiling after 4ish years, no issues:
Attached Thumbnails
Popcorn ceiling paint-dsc04696.jpg  
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #8

Popcorn ceiling paint

Wow. I'm starting to love this app. I'll let u all know what we decide. Sunday would be the start of all the projects. I'm sure u guys will be seeing me all over this forum for the next few months haha. Thanks again guys
The Following User Says Thank You to -Brad- For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (10-12-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
Rubbin walls since'79

Popcorn ceiling paint

Hey- I didn't say I liked it-

But I am asked to do it ( paid to, really) so I find a way.
One reason people hire painters is because it's a job they don't want. If this stuff was actually easy I'd be out of work!

If you do it- remember that pesky thing - gravity. Cover EVERYTHING .
And if you are also doing walls- do ceiling first.
dogris (10-13-2012)
Old 10-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #10

Popcorn ceiling paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
You can paint it fine, go to a paint store and ask them for a roller that will work well on it. It will be more fluffy. I have popcorn ceiling throughout all my house and while I wanted to remove it it just proved to be unrealistic so I painted over it.

Also another thing to keep in mind is if they put popcorn ceiling chances are the drywall job is not the best as they did not bother perfecting it. Popcorn was often used as a way to make it so you don't see imperfections.

Here's my ceiling after 4ish years, no issues:
I would like to know where you went to find this roller cover and what it is called. I live in fla and a lot of my business is popcorn ceilings and I thought I had tried every thing possible to paint popcorn, and on unpainted the only thing that has ever worked was spraying but I'm willing to learn. To Brad; as someone who removes a lot of popcorn ceilings PLEASE don't paint as I might be the one that has to remove it.
In fla where I am we do a lot of popcorn removal the realtors in this area say there is no quicker way to date a house than popcorn. But it is my understanding in some locations they are still using it. You don't say where you are so I would talk to someone in your area, you may add to the value of your home by simply removing it.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #11
Wire Chewer

Popcorn ceiling paint

I went to Benjamin Moore and asked for a roller that will work well on popcorn. I don't recall the name of it, but there are different grades of "fluffyness" and it was the maxed out one. I personally did not actually do the painting, so I'm not sure how it went, ex: if you had to push harder, but it did go pretty well. There's one small room where the popcorn ceiling was removed, but a week later with 2 people I realized I wont do the whole house. This room was easier because it had never been painted on so the others would have been even harder. Now perhaps originally they did spray and the fact that it was painted already made it easier for us to repaint. Not sure.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Squirrel For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (10-13-2012)
Old 10-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #12

Popcorn ceiling paint

1 1/4" nap roller cover and thinned oil base primer. Thin down the primer cause you don't want it thick & sticky. Roll on a quick coat. All you're trying to do is seal the popcorn from the wetting action of your latex finish coat.

Grease exposed skin with Vaseline, wear cap & long sleeved shirt - 'cause it's going to rain.

Concerning future removal:
In my painting career, as far as I can tell, no one ever worried about me being the next guy down the road. So I say tough toenails for the next guy!
dogris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #13
Rubbin walls since'79

Popcorn ceiling paint

Wow- you go big time! I have never needed more than a 3/4.
But I will agree- going with a coat of oil if you can't spray will also nail 'er down without a problem. And the rain coat is for realz!
Old 10-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #14

Popcorn ceiling paint

Texture and Popcorn Finishes - Use GARDZ to seal textured walls and popcorn ceilings before applying water-base primer or paint. GARDZ penetrates soft or crumbly texture material and hardens it, creating a durable, water-resistant barrier that prevents primer or paint from softening texture material underneath

Put gardz in garden sprayer..spray a even coat. Let dry for 3 hours and roll or spray your topcoat, I like to use a Flat Enamel as it will dust easier.

No need to use oil or buy a special roller. This product will make that popcorn turn hard as a rock. And will last forever.
tmast27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #15
Rubbin walls since'79

Popcorn ceiling paint

Garden sprayer? Ok- but must be the most ineffective delivery system on a ceiling ever..
But if you don't have an airless...
But Gardz will do the trick, no argument there.