Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #1

Share |

Popcorn ceiling

I've had to replace a section of ceiling that was damaged by a water leak from above. The leak has been repaired and everything is fine from that perspective. But the ceiling is that blown/sprayed popcorn stuff so how do I get the patch of new drywall to match the rest of the ceiling?

BigMan926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #2

Popcorn ceiling

Most home centers have repair kits that come in a spray can much like spray paint. The cans come in various ceiling matches....i.e. popcorn, knockdown, etc. & you just pick the can that best matches your ceiling and spray away! Now if it's a large area you will have to rent a compressor and a hopper, buy some popcorn texture (it comes in bags) mix it, and blow it onto the ceiling. Cover everything with drops and plastic.......that popcorn stuff is messy!

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Popcorn ceiling

I would just remove the rest of it
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #4

Popcorn ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I would just remove the rest of it
It depends on how old the popcorn is. If it dates from the 70s or earlier, it probably contains asbestos, which requires remediation. I'm no fan of popcorn ceilings, but if the OP is dealing absestos-based popcorn, they might be ahead to patch the repaired section, and then ensure the ceiling is sealed with paint, than endure the cost and risk of a hazmat removal.
clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #5

Popcorn ceiling

it's not old enough to be asbestos so we"re good there. I'm no fan of popcorn either but repairing the 15" x 18" section is way less work than scraping the entire ceiling, patching/sanding, and painting. thnaks for the feedback.
BigMan926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #6

Popcorn ceiling

You'll probably need to spray a few thin coats and wait for them to dry in between to build up the texture and blend it properly. Post a pic when you're done!
n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:05 PM   #7
Handyman

Popcorn ceiling

I agree with ChrisN I have never been able to, nor seen anyone match the texture 100%. Especially once you know its there!
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
Drywall Texture Pro in Fl

Popcorn ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaclub View Post
I agree with ChrisN I have never been able to, nor seen anyone match the texture 100%. Especially once you know its there!
I am a professional texture owner in Orlando. That can stuff is crap if you ask me. you will have much better success at renting a hopper and mixing the popcorn, but imo. spend some cash and just pay a true professional. it is your home and in my 11 years in this business, i have fixed many Diy popcorn repairs and seen many of them, and they are horrible.

The same goes for people that try to retexture stuff with hoppers. A hopper is the worst thing to use for texture unless you are doing a very small area.

If you want to remove the popcorn yourself, which would be nice, you can go with a slick finish or knockdown and paint it depending on the size.

i have a blog about how to do this
http://howtoremovepopcorn.com
stoner529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #9

Popcorn ceiling

A hopper is the worst way to apply texture? What other methods are better?
Old 12-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #10

Popcorn ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0c7 View Post
A hopper is the worst way to apply texture? What other methods are better?
It depends on what application you are trying to do.

small patches

Knockdown you can use a hopper
orangepeel. a pumpgun works best or possibly a small hopper depending on the texture
big stuff should use a spray rig that is pulled with a truck.

I have sprayed a patch about 5 x5 with my spray rig only because i know that is the only way to match knockdown texture.

It is more expensive to do and odds are you would have to pay a professional spray man to spray it for you, but you should have a near flawless result if the knows what he is doing.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #11

Popcorn ceiling

Gotcha though I'll argue that a good sprayer can do a large area with a hopper although you have to keep stopping to mix new batches and keep consistently mixing them the same as well which is usually where the variations come in. I've done a few ceilings with a hopper and the results were fine as my compressor easily kept up to the low 25 PSI required but the stopping every 5 minutes to fill up was a PITA.

A spray rig definitely has it's advantages. You can load it up and not have to stop for quite some time, get consistent results, the noise stays outside, and you do not have to lug heavy compressors inside homes.

Am I missing anything?
Old 12-30-2010, 07:07 PM   #12

Popcorn ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0c7 View Post
Gotcha though I'll argue that a good sprayer can do a large area with a hopper although you have to keep stopping to mix new batches and keep consistently mixing them the same as well which is usually where the variations come in. I've done a few ceilings with a hopper and the results were fine as my compressor easily kept up to the low 25 PSI required but the stopping every 5 minutes to fill up was a PITA.

A spray rig definitely has it's advantages. You can load it up and not have to stop for quite some time, get consistent results, the noise stays outside, and you do not have to lug heavy compressors inside homes.

Am I missing anything?

Yes lol. The difference is that with a large sprayer, we can get the dots to a normal size as opposed to the hopper.

The hoppers are just gravity fed so as the mixture loses weight, it is not forced out as hard.

Our machine forces it out consistantly. and we have the same batch of mud as you mentioned. That is why i always recomend just using a pro texture person. Yes i know it is money out of your pocket, but some homeowners may just "accept" the job you did rather then being totaly happy with it, if you catch my drift.

Really being from a texture background i am anti hopper. i will however use my hopper to spray popcorn and i never have a problem getting the same results as a spray rig. it just takes alot longer to do.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:13 PM   #13

Popcorn ceiling

In repairing small patches of popcorn ceiling in my house, I have had very good results from mixing popcorn texture material into a small amount of ceiling paint and just dabbing the mixture carefully onto the ceiling with the flat side of a paint brush. It's best to build it up slowly until it looks right, and take your time, because it's easy to apply too much. I like this method better than the spray-on popcorn, which is too easy to overdo.
MrBill_DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #14

Popcorn ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBill_DIY View Post
In repairing small patches of popcorn ceiling in my house, I have had very good results from mixing popcorn texture material into a small amount of ceiling paint and just dabbing the mixture carefully onto the ceiling with the flat side of a paint brush. It's best to build it up slowly until it looks right, and take your time, because it's easy to apply too much. I like this method better than the spray-on popcorn, which is too easy to overdo.

If you are refereing to that spray can that you get at home depot or lowes, i couldnt agree more. I can't stand that stuff.