DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Painting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/)
-   -   polyurethane over perma white? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/polyurethane-over-perma-white-154171/)

LADY2012 08-19-2012 11:50 AM

polyurethane over perma white?
 
I have painted a couple of doors in perma white paint. Dont bother asking me why.. I was in the store and no one was around to ask and it looked good to me.

I since returned and was told i should top it with polyurethane. A section i did this too started to yellow. Should I use something else or just leave it on its own? The doors are in a bathroom.

Thank you!

Brushjockey 08-19-2012 12:05 PM

I bet you used an oil poly, not a waterborne. And it will yellow, no stopping it.
The only thing you could do now is go back to square one, prep the door ( lightly but thoroughly sand for adhesion), prime with a good adhesion primer and top with a quality trim paint.

joecaption 08-19-2012 12:11 PM

I personaly would never go over any form of paint with poly.
I like to use an enamel paint on trim and doors.
It's super tough.
Yes you can get it in waterbased, yes you can get in differant sheens.

ric knows paint 08-19-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption (Post 992095)
I personaly would never go over any form of paint with poly.
I like to use an enamel paint on trim and doors.
It's super tough.
Yes you can get it in waterbased, yes you can get in differant sheens.

Joe - you have said this in many of your previous posts...Why?

Brushjockey 08-19-2012 03:40 PM

http://smileys.emoticonsonly.com/emo...pcorn-1245.gif

ric knows paint 08-19-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LADY2012 (Post 992078)
I have painted a couple of doors in perma white paint. Dont bother asking me why.. I was in the store and no one was around to ask and it looked good to me.

I since returned and was told i should top it with polyurethane. A section i did this too started to yellow. Should I use something else or just leave it on its own? The doors are in a bathroom.

Thank you!

Hiya Lady,

I'm assuming we're talking about Zinsser Perma-White? If so, there's no real reason to put any clear finish over it, unless maybe you wanted a different sheen (Perma-White's available in Eggshell, Satin and Semi)...but if that's the case, you could put a Waterborne Poly over it - or another coat of Perma-White in a higher sheen. Either way you've got a pretty decent coating on the door.

user1007 08-19-2012 03:58 PM

I would abandon the clear coat idea and go with white poly or epoxy if you must. Marine supply place will have a white epoxy urethane finish. Stuff is not cheap though.

You might think about Benjamin Moore Waterbased Porch, Floor and Patio paint. It is epoxy reinforced and very durable. The oil based is urethane reinforced but you could have the same yellowing problem.

Brushjockey 08-19-2012 04:06 PM

sds- we're talking about painting a door....... epoxy? a bit over kill.
and there is a whole lot of good trim paints before you go to your floor paint..again..

user1007 08-19-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brushjockey (Post 992217)
sds- we're talking about painting a door....... epoxy? a bit over kill.
and there is a whole lot of good trim paints before you go to your floor paint..again..

Agreed. But the OP seemed on a quest for urethane coating. Floor paint is about the cheapest I know of for delivering epoxy or urethane reinforcement. Of course a trim paint would be a better alternative if that protective coating is off the table.

Brushjockey 08-19-2012 04:16 PM

I think she was following bad advise..

user1007 08-19-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brushjockey (Post 992226)
I think she was following bad advise..

Me too and I am not out to sell floor paint! Sounds like she may have been subjected to orange or blue apron advice? Let's see why she thinks she needed that protective layer. Maybe she has a pet that gets to stay in there during the day or something? Two year old head basher leaning toward temper tantrums?

LADY2012 08-21-2012 08:53 AM

Definitely an apron type person advise. I think because i have a satin finish it just appears "delicate". I don't think I'll find the time to chase down another finish so I'm going to embrace the advise;
"there's no real reason to put any clear finish over it"
There's not any particular rambunctious activity going on the bathroom that leads me to feel a need for another coat. So I will take your word for itand I know now where to turn should this turn out to become a project that needs to be revisited. ...moving on to the next room. Finally. Thank you all very much.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 AM.