Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #1

Share |
Angry

Polyshades debacle - now questions about stripping from door.

Well, if you read this post , you know that I had a bad experience with Polyshades. I went ahead and put 4 coats on the door, in the hope that it would look better as I went. It doesn't. In fact, I hate it. The spouse is ok with it, but is just less picky than I and doesn't mind that the "walnut" door is orange or that there are bubbles and bits all over.

So, it's going to be up to me to strip it and refinish. I may try to strip it in place, because this particular door was a bear to install. So, other than the obvious of removing hardware before starting, what should I know? What stripper would you suggest for this?

Thanks in advance.

sixxmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #2

If it was mine I would sand it instead of trying to strip it.

How did you remove it last time? I just knock out the hindge pins starting at the bottom with the door closed, once there out just open the door and lift it off.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #3

It's a new door, so we didn't remove it last time I think I could get the door out (though the not-true walls made it challenging to get both pins in), but getting it out of that area and down the stairs to a place where it could be laid down will be hard.
My concern about sanding is that it's a 5 panel door and the panels are thinner wood. But, that may be how it needs to go.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Strip it in place if it is an issue to remove it. There are a number of good gel strippers that will work great. Stop in a real paint store.

Until I was pulled in the corner and told I couldn't go many more bells or rounds? I had an infrared stripper and it is one of the best tools I ever bought. You should be able to rent one but I hear there are waiting lists. If you have spare cash you could buy one with a rail system, use it for your purposes for a couple years, and sell it for what you paid almost. I did.

Anyhow, the infrared stripper will take you an hour most. You will have to clean up, sand, and start over.

What happened that you fell for the Polyshades in the first place? The devil shows himself in many ways but memorize these I know well:

1. Polyshades
2. Wallpaper Borders
3. Popcorn Ceilings
4. Silicone as Caulk
5. Silicone for Most Anything Else
6. Stain Blocker/Primer/Paint in One
7. Vinyl Siding
8. Vinyl Most Anything Where Wood Should Be
9. GPS Device with "You've No More Need for That Chart Sailor" Silkscreened on the Back
9. Fresh Seafood Sold From a Roadside Pickup with Oklahoma Plates

Last edited by user1007; 08-01-2012 at 02:47 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Evstarr (08-02-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

lol
Old 08-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #6

Word, sdsester, word.

I'm research most everything to death, but I didn't this time, just bought it (and I've stained and polyurethaned before, so I don't even have that excuse) on a whim because it sounded like a time saver. BAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Ow. Cramp.
The Following User Says Thank You to sixxmum For This Useful Post:
Evstarr (08-02-2012)
Old 08-03-2012, 01:04 AM   #7
Paint Pro

if i had a nickel every time ive heard about "2 in 1" products failing miserably id have at least 5 bucks. You cant cut corners in painting, staining, or finishing if you want your project to last, and look good. Strip and start over. Use smart strip, its biodegradable friendly paste stripper that will take off up to 15 coats. the polyshades will come right off.
Expert Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:25 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Strip it in place if it is an issue to remove it. There are a number of good gel strippers that will work great. Stop in a real paint store.

Until I was pulled in the corner and told I couldn't go many more bells or rounds? I had an infrared stripper and it is one of the best tools I ever bought. You should be able to rent one but I hear there are waiting lists. If you have spare cash you could buy one with a rail system, use it for your purposes for a couple years, and sell it for what you paid almost. I did.

Anyhow, the infrared stripper will take you an hour most. You will have to clean up, sand, and start over.

What happened that you fell for the Polyshades in the first place? The devil shows himself in many ways but memorize these I know well:

1. Polyshades
2. Wallpaper Borders
3. Popcorn Ceilings
4. Silicone as Caulk
5. Silicone for Most Anything Else
6. Stain Blocker/Primer/Paint in One
7. Vinyl Siding
8. Vinyl Most Anything Where Wood Should Be
9. GPS Device with "You've No More Need for That Chart Sailor" Silkscreened on the Back
9. Fresh Seafood Sold From a Roadside Pickup with Oklahoma Plates
now that one is scary, fresh?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert Paint View Post
if i had a nickel every time ive heard about "2 in 1" products failing miserably id have at least 5 bucks. You cant cut corners in painting, staining, or finishing if you want your project to last, and look good. Strip and start over. Use smart strip, its biodegradable friendly paste stripper that will take off up to 15 coats. the polyshades will come right off.
Thanks for the product advice. I was thinking citristrip, but I'll look into smart strip