Poly Over WB Enamel Over Sanding Sealer? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2010, 12:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Poly over WB enamel over sanding sealer?

I'd like to paint stair treads white using Muralo Ultra WB Satin Flow enamel. The treads are unfinished white oak. My plan is to use MinWax Polycrilic as a top coat, because it is the clearest poly I know of, even if it is not as durable.

I'm thinking of applying two coats of a sanding sealer (Target Coatings EM1000), sanding after each coat, applying two coats of the enamel, and lastly applying three coats of the polyurethane. Can I put the enamel directly on the sanding sealer or do I need a primer? Can I put poly over an enamel?

P.S., I tried staining the treads with MinWax white pickling stain and General Finish whitewash (two coats of each, with and without pre-stain conditioner), but they didn't leave much white color behind.

Advertisement

bobmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,070

Just my opinion but.....

1. Don't paint interior oak stairs.
2. Don't paint stairs with a water based product.
3. Oak is a very hard wood. You need maximum penetration for any product to hold up.
4. Don't paint interior oak stairs.
5. Sand them down if you don't like the look and go with a deeper color stain.
6. Hiring the staining out might be some of the best money you ever spend.
7. Don't paint interior oak stairs.

Advertisement

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 540

You really should stain and poly the stairs. Sanding sealer is ment to be used as a base under polyurethane, polycylic
is not ment for walking surfaces and pickling will only leave a small amount of color in the wood grain as that's what its suppose to do, if you want white treads your better off to get a white oil base stain, followed by oil base floor poly.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Besides the two white pigment stains, I've tried custom-mixed penetrating stains from Sherwin Williams and a Benjamin Moore dealer. SW's stain dyes the open grain only with no color change on the rest of the wood. BM's stain was supposed to be gray and is gray in the can, but turns out dark mahogony.

I also tried TransTint's Black wood dye. Even at full strength, I can only get the wood to turn brown. And my Iron Oak experiment (steel wool disolved in vinegar) resulted in a dark brown as well.

I don't think any company makes a true penetrating gray, black, or white stain. Actually, I don't think a penetrating white stain is even possible.

I might give india ink a try. Other than that, I'm looking at using a floor paint.
bobmg is offline   Reply With Quote