DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Poly interior doors

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  747 
#1 ·
I just got, and stained, some knotty alder interior doors... beautiful. Question: Do I need to polyurethane them, should I poly them? If I do, it'll just be satin, but I suspect they'll be even more pretty w/ some poly. I just tried the wipe-on poly on a test subject and it seems kind of a pain, two coats. What are your considered opinions on poly/no poly, and what kind of poly for interior doors?

Thanks,

Greg

#4 ·
gregrice said:
I just...stained, some knotty alder interior doors...Do I need to polyurethane them, should I poly them?

No, no, not unless you want to
gregrice said:
I just tried the wipe-on poly on a test subject and it seems kind of a pain, two coats.
I'm with Teetor, even more so
I'd say 4 min with a wipe-on poly on new wood
Possibly 6 for a good finish
gregrice said:
What are your considered opinions on poly/no poly,
On a personal note, all my int. doors are wood with stain
No poly
On a professional note, I don't do a lot of poly over stain on doors/trim
Not much at all

Don't let that stop you if you'd like to do it
It could be a seashore thing
Trends can be a bit different here

Like I'd almost swear there was a law passed that houses have to have white trim inside now
Lol...

#5 ·
gregrice said:
Thanks for the prompt reply. But sorry, when you say "oil" does that mean varnish, or the good ole stuff grandma used to treat furniture with? :) And how is it applied?

Greg
Teeter means the old school stains yes like grandma use to use. Example shellac. But those old school stains can be messy and smellie best left to someone like teetor or slick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.