Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2008, 09:22 PM   #1

Share |

please help! What color should i use

I have an A frame house built in 40's............it's light beige sidding with a dark charcoal roof.

Soooo.......here is my problem, I have tried two different colors for the door and shutters.........

I am looking for something different, not the normal beurgandy (sp) or green or black...........something that stands out so people notice it.....but isn't a bold harse color.

So.....first try.......I painted the front door a dark dark wine color and the shutters a little lighter.........i got several compliments on this......people saying it's different and looks nice.

Only problem......my family hated it.

So.....next try.......i painted the shutters a stark red....and painted the front door a patriotic blue (i thought this might be nice, but I am the one that hates this one)

I am so frustrated now, I have no idea what colors to use........it's an old A frame house in a small town with brick streets. I thought about victorian colors.....but idk what colors. I love my house and it's location......but so need ideas on how to make this look better.

Does anyone have any ideas of what to paint the door and the shutters???please help!

maggiemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
Drywall and Painting Pro

Click Here. Then click on the sample exterior you want to paint. Then click drag colors to walls and trim. Hope this helps.

Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:45 PM   #3

I'd say forget what your family says. If you like it, go for it. Or, perhaps tone down the shutter color -- that's probably what's throwing them off. Here's a link to a good article on picking exterior colors.

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/stories/Detailed/10438.shtml
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote