Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #1

Share |

Please help! on painting mobile home walls

Hi all,
I've painted my own walls,...as in a (stick built home),..but my daughter just moved into a brand
new 2009 model mobile home. It's actually very nice but the wall color has got to go!

The walls in both bathrooms look like spong on green (different colors) that is just awful, and the rest of the home is a cream with a soft celery color in it. That has to go too!

My question is what kind of primer and paint (on these mobile home walls since its like a wallboard covered in vinyl) can I use to take down the color of the bold ulgy green to a softer color,..and brighten up the rest of the house from the dull creamy no color.
It's not what I'm use to painting, and I dont wanna mess it up, but then again, nothing could mess up the color of the bathrooms that they already are
I need all the right answers for this. Why they put this color in here is beyond me . I've been reading this board and there are alot of you with the best knowledge and I'd love for you to share yours with me.

Thanks so much,

Lil @-}--

LilDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:08 AM   #2
The DIYer Assistant

Howya doin' there Lil' Darlin, haha. Modular homes have some of the most annoying finishes to try and cover up, and repairing the walls can be even more of a hassle. Luckily, when you're painting with a good latex primer like Glidden's Gripper (which you can tint close to your top-coat color) the rest is a breeze. Another product you can think about using is Behr Ultra. It's a paint and primer in one and would one take two coats, saving probably close to $10 a gallon as opposed to buying a primer and a paint separately. Hope that helps, and have fun!

TheDIYerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:40 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

The Gripper would probably work but just to be sure Zinsser's Bulls Eye Odorless oil would be my first choice.

Another product you can think about using is Behr Ultra.

Not a good idea if you want the paint to actually adhere to the walls.
Prime with oil and top coat with a premium 100% acrylic from a real paint dealer( Ben Moore, Sherwin Williams, etc.)
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:30 AM   #4

Thanks so much guys,
I was thinking about the products you have recommended. I've had so many different answers from different employees at my local Home Depot(s) and Lowe(s),..so I just wanted to come to the forums to find the real answersl. Thanks so much for your help

much appreciated,
Lil
Old 08-15-2009, 08:30 AM   #5

Oh, I do want to ask why the oil primer is better than waterbased??
Old 08-15-2009, 10:51 AM   #6
The DIYer Assistant

Oil will always stick better than latex as it has smaller particles that seep into areas that appear slick to the naked eye.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #7

Go to an actual paint store for paint. Home Depot stuff is overpriced for it's performance, and that is IF you can even get the stuff to perform.
Matthewt1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:51 PM   #8
The DIYer Assistant

Zinsser BIN primer is great and I found it at the HD for around 15 bucks so not too bad on the price meter.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:01 AM   #9
HandyWoman

I'm doing the exact same thing now.
I was advised to use a water-based primer, but I chose an oil based because it was specifically advertised for use over wallpaper (wallboard). I use Kilz Odorless, but when I get to the bathroom or high moisture areas I'll switch to a latex like suggested.
Clean the walls well, rinse them, I used a swiffer wet set-up with a cloth on the bottom and sprayed cleaning solution on as needed.
Prime prime prime for the best results, and let the primer cure for a day before you paint.
I've found that the Kilz Casual Colors (a CR recommended) works really well, it has primer in the paint and is less expensive than other brands but as thick and well covering as the high end brands.
Good luck, oh Google mobile home repair forum, there will be a lot of info there.
2600truman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:23 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2600truman View Post
I'm doing the exact same thing now.
I was advised to use a water-based primer, but I chose an oil based because it was specifically advertised for use over wallpaper (wallboard). I use Kilz Odorless, but when I get to the bathroom or high moisture areas I'll switch to a latex like suggested.
Clean the walls well, rinse them, I used a swiffer wet set-up with a cloth on the bottom and sprayed cleaning solution on as needed.
Prime prime prime for the best results, and let the primer cure for a day before you paint.
I've found that the Kilz Casual Colors (a CR recommended) works really well, it has primer in the paint and is less expensive than other brands but as thick and well covering as the high end brands.
Good luck, oh Google mobile home repair forum, there will be a lot of info there.

I do not understand the quote in red. Latex instead of oil in a bath?
Old 08-17-2009, 02:48 AM   #11
HandyWoman

yeah I didn't get it at first either, but according to Kilz, it's best to use their water based (Kilz 2 Latex and Kilz Premium) in high moisture areas... here's what it says on their pamphlet:
Kilz 2 Latex: "...use on interior and exterior surfaces and mildew prone areas (bathrooms, basements, outbuildings."

Kilz Premium: "...mildew resistant coating makes it ideal for use in moisture prone areas like kitchens, bathrooms and basements."

The pamphlet I have does a side by side comparison for all the types of Kilz primer and the Premium and Kilz 2 Latex are the only ones in both interior and exterior applications for mildew prone areas.

hope that helps.
2600truman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:04 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Personally I would not touch either product.