Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #1

Share |

Please help me pick color...

I went into Sherwin Williams color visualizer and tried different paint choices for the brick. The brick itself is how it currently looks. The color visualizer does not cover the actual brick the paint is more translucent on their site for some reason. But it is a general idea. What color you think would look best. We just finished the walkway this weekend, the mulch is incomplete in one area because we are waiting for stump to be removed. We had contractor come over to add the additional brick where the stucco is but they said they would not be able to match the brick color.What color you think would look best?
Attached Thumbnails
Please help me pick color...-dsc00029.jpg   Please help me pick color...-opt1.jpg   Please help me pick color...-opt2.jpg   Please help me pick color...-opt3.jpg  

LatinGoldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I kind of like the last one with the pale greens. I do wish I could convince you to get rid of those shutters. They look really out of place and of the wrong size even for faux shutters to me. With them gone I would make the verticals they create with the stucco bands of ever so slightly darker shade of the same color.

By the way, in the Benjamin Moore visualizer there is a little button or something as I remember that you have to look for to adjust the opacity of the paint layer you are playing with. I would think the SW one would have a similar feature?

Hope you are enjoying the visualizer? Even if it reduces my color consultant fees, I have no qualms turning my clients loose with them. Their explorations help me zero in on what they really have in mind in ways a back and forth exchange cannot.

Last edited by user1007; 06-21-2011 at 11:42 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I kind of like the last one with the pale greens. I do wish I could convince you to get rid of those shutters. They look really out of place and of the wrong size even for faux shutters to me. With them gone I would make the verticals they create with the stucco bands of ever so slightly darker shade of the same color.
The shutters I will be taking them off as soon as we get the painting, probably even before. Can you please explain what you meant when you say "make the verticals they create with the stucco bands of ever so slightly darker shade of the same color"?
I am anxious to get this old house looking good. When we bought we updated the inside, now we are working outside...any help is a BIG help
Old 06-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #4

Hi,

I too prefer the color of the last image, it makes your home look much more contemporary. I happen to like painted brick, it does require more maintenance but I believe the look, especially for your home, is definitely worth it. And yes I would loose the shutters. Hope you post a photo of the finished work. Good luck!
melodiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinGoldilocks View Post
Can you please explain what you meant when you say "make the verticals they create with the stucco bands of ever so slightly darker shade of the same color"?
I will try. Envision the exterior with those underscaled shutters removed. What you will have left are some vertical "bands" for lack of a better word alternating between brick and those with stucco and windows. I think by drawing some attention to those with stucco and windows you will give the home some subtle visual interest. I think picking the next darker color from the same paint store swatch strip would do the trick. You would stay with a monochromatic color scheme this way.

I think picking a color for the entry door could be fun tool. Split compliments of the soft green would be a subtle orange or purple (lavender or peach if you stayed at the same color intensity). Too girly?

Do tint your primer 40-50 percent of your finish paint color mix. It will make it a little easier to cover. I would use a nice 1 or even 1.5" nap roller cover for the brick---or mask and spray.

I think your color choices are going to look very nice. The home will look pleasant unto itself but also within the context of the landscape plantings.

If you are having any doubts you might try a quart before mixing all you will need?

Last edited by user1007; 06-22-2011 at 03:48 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #6

So we finally decided to paint the house. We painted it Winter Flannel from Valspar. We also added a garden. What you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Please help me pick color...-home1.jpg   Please help me pick color...-home3.jpg   Please help me pick color...-old-brick-home-redone.jpg   Please help me pick color...-home2.jpg  
Old 08-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #7

big improvement!
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #8

Looks good, I think if you added some sutters either painted or wood stained would help those windows.

amuffly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brick, color, exterior, outdoor, paint