Please Help Me Do This Right... - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Please help me do this right...

I just want to make sure I am doing this right. I had some drywall replaced and skim coating done on a house I recently purchased. I did not wash the walls prior to the skim coating. I plan to use Zinnser 123 as a primer and some type of SW paint (paint not purchased yet). My questions are:

1. Do I just need to use a dry cloth to wipe down the walls to get any dust off of them?
2. How long do I need to wait after applying the Zinnser 123 til I paint?
3. I also plan to paint my trim. I have lightly sanded it, do I need to prime it too prior to painting?
4. Can I use the same products in the bathroom? The bathroom has all new green drywall installed.

Thank you in advance for your expertise!!!

Advertisement

vm520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

well, you got the S&W part right as your choice of paint!
scuff sand, primer and paint, yup.

DM

Advertisement

Old 12-04-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

A PVA primer is better to use to prime over new drywall. In the bathroom use Zinsser's Perma White to get the mold and mildew protection you need. You do not have to prime the trim just to cover the sanding marks.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

you will never go wrong priming before you paint. when you dont know the history of what youre painting i always prime

Last edited by tpolk; 12-04-2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: brain freeze
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

I appreciate the advice! I purchased my paint today. I am using SW Classic 99...Flat for ceiling, satin on walls and semi-gloss on trim. I know it is not the best from SW, but it is what I can afford. I am worried about something though. I wiped the walls in my deep orange kitchen this evening. I just used plain warm water. The orange color bled right on to my cloth. Am I going to have a problem with it bleeding through the primer? Also, I had already purchased Zinnser 123 as a primer, should I take it back and get something different? Thanks!!!
vm520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:58 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

Your 123 will be fine and the orange might( will) show through the primer but after drying for 4 hours, 2 top coats will cover all, unless your walls are covered in grease and oil from cooking, in which case this will need to be removed before priming,always a good idea anyway in kitchens and baths.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm520 View Post
I appreciate the advice! I purchased my paint today. I am using SW Classic 99...Flat for ceiling, satin on walls and semi-gloss on trim. I know it is not the best from SW, but it is what I can afford. I am worried about something though. I wiped the walls in my deep orange kitchen this evening. I just used plain warm water. The orange color bled right on to my cloth. Am I going to have a problem with it bleeding through the primer? Also, I had already purchased Zinnser 123 as a primer, should I take it back and get something different? Thanks!!!
If it was just a little bit of orange then it will probably be ok and the 123 should stick to it fine.

Advertisement

Matthewt1970 is online now   Reply With Quote