Please Don't Crucify Me!? But Do Roller Covers REALLY Matter? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2011, 08:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Please Don't Crucify me!? But do roller covers REALLY Matter?

I know for the professional painters that are going to constantly reuse your roller covers, not to mention this is what you do for a living! But for a DIYer, that probably isn't going to paint again for 3 - 5 years (hopefully, but depends on what the Boss (wife)wants) is the roller cover REALLY important? My preference is at the end of the room/color change to throw away the covers, (due in big part that I can never seem to REALLY get the paint out)?? Painting new drywall that has been sealed and primed. One LAST thing is there a time frame that once the walls are primed and sealed the final coat needs to be added? My wife is telling me that I need to reprime the walls and ceilings again because it has been two weeks since they were primed?

Thank You Ladies and Gentlemen!

Advertisement

Evil Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
old guy contractor

Rewards Points: 502

The quality of roller covers make huge difference.

The cheap ones will have fur and hairs that are constantly getting into your paint finish.
Buy a three pack. Toss them. Reload.
It's cheap insurance for a good finish.

Tell wifey to come in here and read up before she tells you how things are supposed to be done.

Just wipe down your walls for dust and you're good to go.......

Advertisement

tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tcleve4911 For This Useful Post:
Evil Scotsman (04-01-2011)
Old 04-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcleve4911 View Post
The quality of roller covers make huge difference.

The cheap ones will have fur and hairs that are constantly getting into your paint finish.
Buy a three pack. Toss them. Reload.
It's cheap insurance for a good finish.

Tell wifey to come in here and read up before she tells you how things are supposed to be done.

Just wipe down your walls for dust and you're good to go.......
Thanks but I can show this to wifey all I want and it won't matter?! haha the response will that's not how they do it on HGTV! LOL
Old 04-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
Coatings Nerd

Rewards Points: 250

No need to prime again.

Yes rollers make a difference. So do brushes. The trick is, matching the product to the applicators. You could have a really great paint, and the improper brush or roller ( yes even expensive ones ) and the job can come out terribly. They need to be matched correctly.

What paint are you planning to use?

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCpaint1 View Post
No need to prime again.

Yes rollers make a difference. So do brushes. The trick is, matching the product to the applicators. You could have a really great paint, and the improper brush or roller ( yes even expensive ones ) and the job can come out terribly. They need to be matched correctly.

What paint are you planning to use?
I am afraid to say what paint I am using especially after my question! Behr. I have used it in the past and really liked it!? But again I am NOT anywhere a professional (and I mean that in EVERY sense of the word as you can tell by my question)!?
Old 04-01-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
Coatings Nerd

If you've had good luck with it, go for it. Owning a Benjamin Moore store, I consider myself "spoiled" when it comes to paint. Its what im used to, and I compare everything to it.

Lately, I've been a big fan of the Microfiber rollers. They seem to work pretty well with most products, and fall about in the middle as far as price. Roughly $5 a sleeve.

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
old guy contractor

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Scotsman View Post
Thanks but I can show this to wifey all I want and it won't matter?! haha the response will that's not how they do it on HGTV! LOL
There's reality TV and there's reality.

You've joined a great reality forum that has a lot of people sharing their real life experiences with products and how-to knowledge.

You can't see hairs and flaws and details and actual elapsed time frames on a scripted TV show.
They edit out the stuff that doesn't work well.....you can't....
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCpaint1 View Post

Lately, I've been a big fan of the Microfiber rollers. They seem to work pretty well with most products, and fall about in the middle as far as price. Roughly $5 a sleeve.
I LOVE microfiber rollers. Menards had a sale a couple months ago $2.99 per 3-pack. I stocked up a cart full and will not have to buy roller naps for a long, long time. Easily the best affordable roller covers I've used.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 512

Quote:
I know for the professional painters that are going to constantly reuse your roller covers, not to mention this is what you do for a living! But for a DIYer, that probably isn't going to paint again for 3 - 5 years (hopefully, but depends on what the Boss (wife)wants) is the roller cover REALLY important? My preference is at the end of the room/color change to throw away the covers, (due in big part that I can never seem to REALLY get the paint out)?? Painting new drywall that has been sealed and primed. One LAST thing is there a time frame that once the walls are primed and sealed the final coat needs to be added? My wife is telling me that I need to reprime the walls and ceilings again because it has been two weeks since they were primed?

Thank You Ladies and Gentlemen!
The "2 week" time frame refers to the window in which the finish coat will effectively chemically bond with the primer. If the finish coat is applied after the primer has cured (generally a month btw), you may only really get the benefit of the physical adhesion. So you are still well inside the threshold, and even then I worry more about chemical bonds on exteriors where there is exposure to the elements. New drywall prep is all about sealing. Only in very rare cases have I seen paint peel from drywall, and the issue has been invariably poor quality paint or incompatibility between coatings. Good luck ES.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows For This Useful Post:
Evil Scotsman (04-04-2011)
Old 04-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

Quote:
I am afraid to say what paint I am using especially after my question! Behr. I have used it in the past and really liked it!? But again I am NOT anywhere a professional (and I mean that in EVERY sense of the word as you can tell by my question)!?

No comment
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000

Evil, Evil, Evil Scotsman. You're saving loads on labor by DIY. Now you want to save on covers. Labor is your single biggest cost and cheap covers definitely make you work harder, and will give an inferior result.
Five dollars evil, five. A cheap cover will cost you more in labor than five dollars. And you're right, cleaning covers is not economical, trash em. Besides, even a good quality roller cover only has a so many square foot life span, they're not like brushes. If you go right from primer to finish you could clean the cover enough to give it double duty though. I don't know if I buy into the primer "window" debate on interior recoat times. Outside, yes. I think she more trying to penalize you for not getting the finish coat done.
BTW, Philly is my hometown, what parts you from?
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Evil Scotsman (04-04-2011)
Old 04-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 25

I have used the same two Purdy brushes for almost a decade and they still perform great and look only gently used. Now, i don't use them every day, but i do use them multiple times throughout the year. For roller covers, I prefer lambs wool. I would rather spend a few more dollars and have a product that will last, than to buy cheap just to get me through one job. Constantly buying cheap covers and brushes adds up over time. As far as clean up, it really doesn't take that long. A couple of minutes each.

Rick
http://myhandyadvice.blogspot.com/

Last edited by sharpsport; 04-02-2011 at 09:21 AM. Reason: left something out
sharpsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #13

I have a had pretty good luck cleaning rollers. I just use my laundry utility sink and roller spinner. Don't use them forever, but I do get several jobs out of them.
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpsport View Post
As far as clean up, it really doesn't take that long. A couple of minutes each.

Rick
http://myhandyadvice.blogspot.com/
Hey Rick, one of the things we need to be efficient in our effort is to work smarter. Buying a good quality roller cover, or any tool for that matter, is the first step in working smarter. This is a good time for discussing opportunity cost, which is defined as "The cost of an alternative that must be forgone in order to pursue a certain action. Put another way, the benefits you could have received by taking an alternative action." It takes a minimum of ten minutes, from start to finish, to clean a roller cover, at a minimum to be cleaned effectively. In ten minutes I've already spent more time in labor costs than the cover is worth. The customer pays for the cover mind you. If I clean a cover and take it to the next job and charge the customer, I'm only recouping my lost wages from the cleaning time. Beyond that the roller cover would probably no longer have any value.
I may be a pro, but the same logic applies to ho's. What is the value to you of the next best thing you could be doing if not washing a roller cover? Spending that ten minutes with your kids?
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:44 AM   #15

Thank you all for the info and help! Just for an fyi I was buying rollers that were on sale at HD for like 3 for 10 bucks. (wasn't going to the dollar store hahaha I am not THAT cheap! LOL) I just wasn't sure if it was REALLY THAT big of a deal for a diyer. BUT I do appreciate everyones input and information. JSheridan I live in Port Richmond, just the Pa side of the Betsy Ross. But moving up to Holmesburg as soon as I get this house done!

Advertisement