DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Painting (
-   -   Plaster Wall Repair and Preparation (

clrh 05-25-2009 05:33 PM

Plaster Wall Repair and Preparation
3 Attachment(s)
I pulled the wallpaper off of one of the walls in our new house today, and found a little more trouble than I had hoped for. The house was built in 1959, and I believe the walls are plaster. The "top coat" of the plaster (for lack of a better term in my vocabulary) has crumbled off. I believe there was some light water damage in the area at some point in the future before the windows were replaced by the previous owner. I have attached three pictures showing the situation and the surrounding area with the wallpaper removed. Can I just skimcoat the area to repair it, or is there a more in depth repair process? I will be painting the wall eventually.

Thanks so much!

chrisn 05-26-2009 04:29 AM

Wet it down with a sponge and do your skim coats( probably3) maybe 4 . sand. clean and paint away.:thumbsup:

mazzonetv 05-26-2009 04:49 PM

Chris - do you think maybe a coat of Plasterweld is called for? Looking at those pics it might be worth exploring. I'm wondering how "tight" the current plaster is. I don't think it could hurt to go over the existing wall with PlasterWeld, then skim coat

Matthewt1970 05-26-2009 05:07 PM

See if the plaster is crumbling in those spots. If it is not, thn that is a perfect surface to accept a few skim coats.

chrisn 05-27-2009 04:56 AM

Chris - do you think maybe a coat of Plasterweld is called for?

I have never used it, as I think it is used for real plaster.I certainly could be wrong.:huh: I was talking about using joint compound.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1