Pink Tile - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2011, 07:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

pink tile

My son has a bathroom with pink tile. I have heard of a product that you can paint on to change the color. Does it really work?

Advertisement

76farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

pink tile

We've used Zinzer 1-2-3 Primer, and also Kilz Primer on plastic tiles, then top-coated with whatever paint we chose. That has worked very well.

Can't say that it'd work with ceramic or porcelain tiles though. Maybe somebody else knows.

Advertisement

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 296

pink tile

For ceramic tile, you need to use an epoxy. That is the only way to obtain adhesion, and provide a surface which can be cleaned. Otherwise, the tile needs to be replaced.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #4

pink tile

We are going to test a product on a tub called Homax Tub and Tile. It's a single part white epoxy paint, it can be purchased at your local hardware store. The kit comes complete for prepping and painting. The kit cost around $60 and will paint 1 standard size tub or 2 sinks. 44 to 52 square foot or so they say. (product says works on Fiberglass, Porcelain, Glazed Ceramic Tile and Counter Top Laminate) I will return the results to this post. But yes painting tile is possible.

Shipp's Painting LLC
http://www.paintingkokomoindiana.com

Last edited by Shipps Painting; 02-01-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Shipps Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #5
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 540

pink tile

You can't just paint tile with a conventional primer and paint. It is not that easy and will not adhere properly. Especially if the tile are on the floor. You need to scarify/etc the tile first. Midwest chemicals is an on line coatings supplier. They have the proper coatings for tile and they can also instruct you on how to properly prepare the surface first. If you scarify the surface well enough you can then treat the surface as a masonry surface, but you still just can't use any primer or paint off of the shelf.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
Painting Company, NY

pink tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipps Painting View Post
We are going to test a product on a tub called Homax Tub and Tile. It's a single part white epoxy paint, it can be purchased at your local hardware store. The kit comes complete for prepping and painting. The kit cost around $60 and will paint 1 standard size tub or 2 sinks. 44 to 52 square foot or so they say. (product says works on Fiberglass, Porcelain, Glazed Ceramic Tile and Counter Top Laminate) I will return the results to this post. But yes painting tile is possible.

Shipp's Painting LLC
I would be curious how that product works? The best product that I know of and have seen work is from midwest chemical, you use an hvlp sprayer and a special uv heat lamp that will actually cure the product in minutes. The kicker is that the heat lamp cost $1,500. So I'm curious as to how well a 60 product works.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #7

pink tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
I would be curious how that product works? The best product that I know of and have seen work is from midwest chemical, you use an hvlp sprayer and a special uv heat lamp that will actually cure the product in minutes. The kicker is that the heat lamp cost $1,500. So I'm curious as to how well a 60 product works.

Hey Guy if your trying to be disrespectful this is a DIY forum. We test products all the time to try to help customers that can't afford to spend a lot. For what your talking about they might as well replace the tile. Of course there are definitely better more expensive ways to do things but these people are not asking for a contractor with all the equipment to come in and do it, they want to DIY....

LOL on a lighter note I can just see an inexperienced person with an hvlp in their home.

Shipp's Painting LLC
Old 02-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #8
Painting Company, NY

pink tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipps Painting View Post
Hey Guy if your trying to be disrespectful this is a DIY forum. We test products all the time to try to help customers that can't afford to spend a lot. For what your talking about they might as well replace the tile. Of course there are definitely better more expensive ways to do things but these people are not asking for a contractor with all the equipment to come in and do it, they want to DIY....

LOL on a lighter note I can just see an inexperienced person with an hvlp in their home.

Shipp's Painting LLC
My name is not guy and if you feel disrespected, because I am curious as to how a product works and I am open minded to learning about a product that I know nothing about then the disrespect that you feel is on you. Any advice that I give on this forum is from my experience. I do know that no matter what product you use on tile if you don't at least etch them first you will not have proper adherance.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:20 PM   #9

pink tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
My name is not guy and if you feel disrespected, because I am curious as to how a product works and I am open minded to learning about a product that I know nothing about then the disrespect that you feel is on you. Any advice that I give on this forum is from my experience. I do know that no matter what product you use on tile if you don't at least etch them first you will not have proper adherance.

I thought you were being sarcastic. My apologies. The product says it comes with everything you need to etch for proper adhesion. This is what I was calling prep.

Shipp's Painting LLC

Advertisement