Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #1

Share |

pine cabinets - some stains showing thru paint

i painted over old varnished pine kitchen cabinets that have been in my kitchen since the late 60's.
first i sanded the cabinets, then added an oil based primer.
waited a few weeks, sanded again.
i have put on 2 coats of semi-gloss paint and in certain spots i see 'stains' that i had not seen until now.
what is 'bleeding' through???
now i don't know if i should just keep painting more coats of semi-gloss hoping to eventually hide the spots...OR...can i put a stain blocker primer over top of semi-gloss?
any help is greatly appreciated!!!

suevwbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:01 AM   #2

Hi Sue, what is bleeding through is probably the tannin in the pine. It appears as the easily identifiable, familiar brownish knots, but also as a general haze with no distinctive shape or pattern. It will continue to bleed through more coats of latex. You need to spot prime with Zinsser BIN primer, a pigmented shellac. Only certain oil base primers handle tannin bleed, and none that I know of are superior to BIN. Save yourself some aggravation and wait a month, and do it once a month until it's done, rather than doing touch up each time you see a spot. For future projects like that with pine, the default primer should be full BIN to cover yourself. You can get a quart at HD. Thanks.
PS, you can clean up your brush with ammonia, but if you wrap it tightly enough in plastic, it will store from month to month till you're done.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:44 AM   #3

a few follow up questions...
1. after waiting 30 days to apply Zinsser BIN shellac primer can i paint the Zinsser directly over the semi-gloss or do i need to sand?
2. can i apply my semi-gloss directly over top the Zinsser BIN or do i need to sand?

i am hoping to avoid sanding again, but if that's the right way to do it, then that's what i'll do...
thanks so much for your help!!!
i really appreciate your quick response!!!
suevwbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
Jack of all - master none

I'm pretty sure the BIN directions say it will adhere to all surfaces, even smooth and gloss. However, for best results, I would probably lightly sand the gloss off of the areas you are going to apply the BIN. I like to put an oil based primer over the BIN (like Zinnser Cover Stain), then paint - but this might be overkill. You shouldn't need to sand the BIN.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:59 AM   #5

It never hurts to do a little fine sanding between any coats. Latex doesn't create a lot of sanding dust. I think oil between is a bit overkill. The bin is formulated to be finished over with latex or oil coatings. How long you wait is up to you, but I know from experience that tannin stains develop over time depending on the concentrations in the wood. Some burn through immediately and others more slowly. By waiting you're not chasing every little thing, which could end up giving you a patchwork looking touched up finish.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote