Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #1

Share |

picture frames

I have a small picture framing business and want to begin fabricating my own moulding. I can create the wood framing easy enough using a table saw and router. I have tried using different types of canned paint but have yet to obtain the quality I am looking for. I'm guessing I will want to go with some type of spray paint gun with enamel paint and need assistance with what type of sprayer and paint would give me the best finish.

pictframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
JOATMON

picture frames

My wife is an artist....and goes through a lot of frames....I tried making them....but for what we can buy them for.....not worth my time.....

I think your going to find the same thing....especially after you start pricing some of the router bits you need.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

picture frames

A good friend is a master art framer here in the City. He can get any molding you can imagine, partially or completely finished, in bulk or often in standard sizes. I cannot imagine making your own will work out to be practical.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
custom user

picture frames

I've made my own out of 1"x2" oak, good sized too, about 30"x 36". I had the equipment though so no investment but time, and it took a lot of time. I too think you're better off finding a good source, maybe buying 8' sticks and have a good miter/chop saw.

If you are determined to paint frames you would want to invest in a good detail gravity fed HVLP gun. I have Iwatas myself and can recommend them. They hold up very well over time. You need a good air filter setup. An auto paint supplier will have everything. I spent $100 on the filter, it came with three paper filters about the size of toilet paper rolls. You let them dry out occasionally. The compressor doesn't need to be too much since the spraying wouldn't take long but usually the bigger the better.
JasperST is offline   Reply With Quote