Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Picture frame wainscoting

I just painted a bedroom with SW Emerald matte. We painted blue on top and white on the bottom 40" of wall. I am going to put up a chair rail and picture frame on the bottom. I am trying to decide if I should paint the chair rail and picture framing with white semi gloss or the same matte finish.

Is there a generally accepted way to do this or just personal preference?

Thanks

Troy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 66

It can be done anyway that looks good to you.

I prefer to use a gloss enamel. It make the trim pop, easy to just wipe off when it gets dusty (and it will), and enamel is a harder paint and holds up great to abuse.
Often times I'll also mark off where the frames are going to go and paint that area the color of the area above it.
Most of the time I'll use base cap molding to make my frames.
Here's some ideas.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...deas&FORM=IGRE

Old 08-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #3

For this room I want to keep the wainscoting all white. I will play with color on some other rooms. So many options when you look at that link you provided. Thanks
Old 08-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 26

I agree I really like gloss on trim for the pop factor. Just did a room with high ceilings walls were a light brown then a chair rail then the bottom was dark brown. Chair rail and base was gloss white. Talk about pop.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

For me, trim in an antique home often became the unifying link between the color flows of different rooms. No reason it necessarily has to be of course.

There is usually an assumption trim has to be glossier to be washable which is no longer true.

I would go with semi and never a white white for trim unless you have to match what you have done. It looks too stark and makes all around it look dingy. Pick an off-white. The Ben Moore selector has like 120 in the separate color fan.

I personally think we have gotten as lazy about jumping to white trim as we have about white ceilings. I think a little thought could make rooms look a lot more inviting.

And by the way, you mentioned picture frame chair rail? Usually they are two different things so when done shoot a photo or two? Usually picture frame trim went up around the ceiling with about 1/4" to 1/2" gap so you could fit picture hangers that matched the profile of the molding with clips from which you hung, you guessed it, picture framing wire. The idea was to not have to punch holes in plaster walls.

Last edited by user1007; 08-06-2013 at 01:32 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #6

I am putting up a chair rail and then using a matching but small moulding to make squares like a picture frame that will go between the chair rail and the base moulding. I am going bright white. I always go bright white or color. I do not like off white as it just seems like a dirty white. Just personal taste I guess.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Guess so Troy but painters forever have been adding just a touch of umber or black to bright white. You probably saw it, and liked it. I did not mean something like Navajo White or beige.

Atrium White is a fave of mine. It goes great with wood floors and warm gray wall colors. Your eye will read it as white white and it is not far off. To me, white white just looks strange against, say a nice finished wood floor. It is just off enough it covers better than white white.

I am still confused about the trim you are using. Picture molding/rail was never used between chair rail and baseboards. I have worked on antique homes for 3-4 decades now. You should pass this past us. I think I know what you are trying to do.

Are you looking for the type of molding typically used to break up walls between chair rail and baseboard? To break up expanses of walls? Usually when some were too cheap to pay a paperhanger?
Old 08-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #8

I think this is what he means.
Attached Images

Brushjockey (08-06-2013), ToolSeeker (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaniels View Post
I think this is what he means.

yes and what a pita to paint
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
Rubbin walls since'79

SDS- you state your personal preferences very often. Too often.
Not everybody has the same tastes. . Just try and help with what THEY want to do..
Just a friendly suggestion...
Old 08-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #11
Rubbin walls since'79

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
yes and what a pita to paint
Paint frame first- don't worry about going over- finish wall last- cut clean.

Sure it's more work than a flat wall , but it is a nice effect when done right.
ToolSeeker (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #12

To add a female perspective, gloss trim is WAY easier to dust and keep clean. I did our bedroom base in satin and went back later and brushed gloss poly over the top part to make it easier.
MissKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #13

Cdaniels - that is exactly what I am doing.

I plan to spray all mouldings outside and then install for nice clean lines.

I think misunderstood the offwhite suggestion. A little variation may be nice. I just do not like a beige or cream etc. It just reminds me of white that got old and yellowed.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
SDS- you state your personal preferences very often. Too often.
Not everybody has the same tastes. . Just try and help with what THEY want to do..
Just a friendly suggestion...
Point taken in the spirit intended.

I personally find people that just answer questions without telling me what I need to know---or offering alternative suggestions and opinion---manipulative though. I don't know many painters that rush to paint with white white. Should I have ignored this and just let the OP merrily paint chair rail? Since the days when the mentors that taught me carried pigments and mixed color on sight/site, none used a white without tinting it with a few drops of at least black. I will try to think of better ways of saying things.

I may need your help in commenting objectively and not subjectively since opinion is part of this process. I also did not just paint just to client paint chips. Usually there was at least an interior designer on board that asked opinion for color of things like ceilings. And questions floated like do ceilings have to be white and trim to match? I don't see how many beyond me suggesting the process of doing so automatically is boring is harmful commentary but will keep it to myself from now on.

Last edited by user1007; 08-07-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy32 View Post
Cdaniels - that is exactly what I am doing.

I plan to spray all mouldings outside and then install for nice clean lines.

I think misunderstood the offwhite suggestion. A little variation may be nice. I just do not like a beige or cream etc. It just reminds me of white that got old and yellowed.
I know that sounds like a good idea in theory but the molding will need to be caulked on both sides,the corners and the nail holes filled and the paint edged up and touched up after it is installed.