Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #1

Share |

Picnic Table re-painting gone bad?

Bear with me as my painting knowledge is not that great. I have a family hand me down picnic table from the 60's. The table itself is made of redwood and is still solid as a rock. It was originally painted with some type of semi-gloss paint. This original paint (dont know how many re-coats over the years) has held up pretty well so I assumed it would make a nice base. The only prep work I did was cleaning the surface.

I guess I was wrong. I tried re-painting it with some Olympic exterior semi-gloss (no primer). After a couple days the surface is still tacky and it seems it didn't adhere to the original finish. It will peel right up if you pick it with your finger nail.

I considered sanding everything down to bare wood but I fear there is a good chance some of that original paint will contain lead. I also have multiple coats of the new latex paint on top. Any ideas on how to recover my failed project??

richraquel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #2

Why are you picking at it with your fingernail? Leave it alone for a few more days. If the temperature is low(er) or damp, it may delay the drying time. Sometimes latex semis will feel "sticky" for a couple of days. How long did you wait between each coat of new finish? Did you follow the specified recoat times? Going over a finish too soon could create drying issues. Adhesion is a function of drying time so it's not unheard of for a finish to appear to not be bonded initially. However, if you had a semi finish and applied a new semi finish without sanding first, you may truly have adhesion problems. I would leave it set for a while and see where you're at then. No sense going into remedies when they may not be necessary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #3

I had a blister that I popped and ended up peeling up some of the surrounding areas. I only waited like 15 mins between each coats so I most likely rushed it. I will wait a couple more days and see if the tackiness starts to dissapear.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #4
Coatings Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by richraquel View Post
I had a blister that I popped and ended up peeling up some of the surrounding areas. I only waited like 15 mins between each coats so I most likely rushed it. I will wait a couple more days and see if the tackiness starts to dissapear.
If you only waited 15 minutes between coats it sounds like "solvent trap". Basically what happens is the first coat is still drying and the second coat "traps" the material trying to evaporate. The only thing that will fix this issue is time...so leave it alone

Did you use oil or latex? If you used oil, you can try a quick wipe with mineral spirits or paint thinner. That will sometimes break the film just enough to let the solvents evaporate properly.

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #5

I used a latex base.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
Coatings Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by richraquel View Post
I used a latex base.
Just have to wait

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote