Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #1

Share |

*PIC* What stain for cedar siding to get this look?

I'm putting this same wavy edge cedar siding on my house and want to achieve the same look/color as shown below. Any recommendations on what product to use? Is this just a sealer that brings out the natural color and not a stain?

ConstantChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #2

This is how I've seen it unfinished...

Old 08-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #3

http://www.cabotstain.com/visualizer...lor-fence.html
Old 08-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
Mod

Well it sounds like you found the siding.

I'll move this to the Painting Forum for you.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantChange
I'm putting this same wavy edge cedar siding on my house and want to achieve the same look/color as shown below. Any recommendations on what product to use? Is this just a sealer that brings out the natural color and not a stain?
Its a stain of some kind. It looks kind of weathered in the pic.

It could be a semi-trans like Cabbot, as Joe seemed to think.

It reminds me of CWF UV natural, or something similar. Saying 'Natural' stain for ext wood is a bit misleading as most of them have some pigment.
A lot of different stains have that brownish/orangeish tint to them.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
Mod

Personally unless you want to change the color of the cedar I'd just oil it.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #7

Looks alot like what Jmays said, CWF-UV with a possible cedar tone to it. CWF is a great product from the Flood Company and is fairly common in the Big Box stores. It comes in CLEAR, CEDAR, AND REDWOOD. I like it because out of all the wood treatment products out there, it is one of the least expensive yet very effective......especially on vertical surfaces.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I am not going to venture a guess as to what brand it is from a picture of the siding and not the can! It looks like something close to a clear toner/sealer---possibly with a bit of pigment to it but not quite to the point of being a semi-transparent stain yet. With new cedar and if you want a near natural look, you aim to add as little pigment as needed to blend variations to look good together.

Many companies make such products including Flood, Cabot, Sikkens. Get the product with the best UV protection you can afford. Whatever you do, no Thompson's Water Seal or such ilk please!

The key to making it work is to get it on quickly before the new cedar starts to discolor naturally. And then maintain it on a regular basis. What the regularity will be will depend on climate conditions/seasonal changes, sun exposure, roof overhang, guttering, etc.

Anyhow, here is a chart I have posted before showing the transition of wood treatment from sealers to solid stains.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #9

Sure looks like Natural as well.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #10

I went to the popular big box stores in town and saw one carries Flood and the other has Cabot. Which one of these brands do you guys prefer?

I'm leaning towards going with a Flood translucent in cedar color or a Cabot Wood-Toned Deck & Siding Stain in a cedar color. Think either one of those will get me close to the look I'm going after?
Old 08-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Sounds like you are stepping beyond as toner/sealer and nearing semi-transparent stain. Make sure this is what you want. You might try the smallest size container in what you think might work before buying all?

If you end up using very little of the can, Habitat for Humanity ReStore may take it and give you a tax receipt unless people have abused dumping stuff on them like at the store that I helped sort out paint and stain. Don't hand them a gallon can with two inches of material in the bottom. For that matter, if you have ReStore near, you might see if they have some on hand you can try for chump change? It sounds like cedar siding is popular where you are so they may have some for sale.

Last edited by user1007; 08-10-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Sounds like you are stepping beyond as toner/sealer and nearing semi-transparent stain. Make sure this is what you want. You might try the smallest size container in what you think might work before buying all?
Honestly, I'm not sure that is what I want, but I don't see that either of these brands are available in a sample (or quart) size.

I have a leftover piece of cedar I kept so I could do some testing, but I don't want to buy a full gallon and then be stuck with it if it's not the right choice.

It appears CWF-UV natural is not available in my area and I'd like to use a product I can get locally.

sdsester, what product is a good toner/sealer with really good UV protection?
Old 08-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

A real paint store should be able to order what you want within the brands they carry if they do not have it. Box stores are generally not willing to do so although some of their websites will. If that does not work, many online sources will ship orders over $50 for free. Of course you still need to decide what you want.

Paint stores, not box stores, are much more likely to supply contractors in your area so should be a good source of information about what products the pros prefer. They will have somebody that actually knows something about sealing, staining and painting products too! Check with the lumber supplier too for their thoughts. It is obviously in their interests to have the timber look good and make you happy.

As for what to recommend? I am going to defer to those who have done more recent siding work than I have. I used to like the two part Sikkens sealing system and it had decent UV protection. Others seem to really like Flood. I grew up using and specifying Olympic products but would not touch them anymore. Apparently regional availability is an issue for some brands.

I you haven't already, you might use the search engine to explore this site for similar threads. Take a look at deck refinishing posts too. Some the products for horizontal surfaces will certainly translate to vertical ones.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #14

Wow, no CWF-UV in OKC?

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote