Pet Damaged Wood Floors.. Paint Them?! - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2009, 03:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pet damaged wood floors.. paint them?!

So, I just bought a house that is completely open concept on the main floor. The house is a log home and the floor seems to be logs.(meaning the top has the look of hardwood and when you stand in the basement and look up you are looking at the same wood) The previous owners had pets that DESTROYED the floors with pet urine... the approach I am thinking of taking right now since I dont have the money to take out the current floor and buy subflooring and new floors, is to use Zinsser BIN and seal the top of the floor and the under side from the basement to block in the odors. Then I am thinking of just painting over the BIN (since it is white) with a darker color paint so dirt wont show... Any tips? My hope is that the Zinsser BIN will block int he odors enough so some day i can just put my new floor right on top of the painted floor...

Does this all make sense and seem feesable or are there flaws in my plan... I have never done this before!

Ashley

Advertisement

awoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,360

Painting over the pet odors will not work. If it's cat urine, the last I knew, there is nothing that will permanently take the smell out or cover it up. You can try Odo Ban, which is excellent for removing almost any odor. I don't know if it would take the smell out of the wood though. The problem is that the urine and smell get absorbed down into the wood.

I'm not sure how well it would work to paint the floors anyway. Any time I've seen it done, there are scratches galore in the paint.

Can you see the stains when you are in the basement and look up at the boards?

Advertisement

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Pet urine id the worst
Even when we have sealed it so we can't smell it, other pets can...and will assume it's the "litter box"
The best sure-fire solution is removal

However, if that's not possible, the only thing that has a real good chance of sealing them is a shellac-based sealer like BIN

As BIN isn't really rated for floor traffic, you will really need the "stack the deck" in your favor
This means really, really, cleaning and sanding and dusting
You don't need to sand off the current finish, just give the BIN something rough to hang on to
But it has to have no contamination or dust before applying the BIN

If that works, you'll be fine
If it doesn't, you'll know...sooner or later...hopefully before you get your new overlayment
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Same problem at my last house
I brought in a big drum sander & took the floors down
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paining floors , pet odor , wood floors , zinsser