A Perfectionist Asking For Help - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2011, 12:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

A perfectionist asking for help

I recently had my whole apartment repainted in the color cocoa. I was very happy about it and I tried to keep the painted wall as clean as possible. Last weekend, my friend brought her son over for lunch. The little kid accidentally left a few pencil marks on the wall. Not knowing what to do, I used a scrub sponge (with water) and tried to scrub off the marks. The marks were gone, but later, I found that a small area of the wall was smudged and looked yellowish. It seemed that I had scrubbed too hard. I don't want to repaint the whole wall. Is there any way to polish it so that the smudged area will be gone?

Thanks a lot!

Advertisement

anjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

First - do you have any leftover paint? If not, it is critical you get the same brand, finish, quality, color, etc.... In addition, the type of paint that was used (finish, quality, etc) will go a long way in determining how good the new blends with the old. Flats will typically blend in better than something with a higher sheen, like a satin or semi gloss. Time is a big factor here as well - the more recent the wall was painted the better the chance you have of the patch blending in. Try to use the same application method as well - if the wall was rolled out - use a roller for the patch. If it was an area that was brushed out, use a brush. Keep in mind, sometimes the only way to do this well is to paint from one natural breaking point to another..corner to corner, corner to window/door, etc.. Also keep in mind that it is going to take a while for the patch to "blend in". Paint can take several weeks to fully cure and as the patch dries, it might blend in better over the course of a week or two...

Hope that helps some,
good luck

Advertisement

mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

It all depend on the quality of paint and the sheen. If the sheen was a flat finish, then all you have to do is get one of those small "touch up" roller kits

and generously roll the area, feathering out the edges.

If the sheen is anything other than flat, then you run the risk of seeing a slightly shiny spot. Sometimes it will work with high quality paints.

Of course, the fianal choice is painting the wall from corner -to-corner.

"Have fun, it's only paint"

Last edited by HDPaintPro; 01-17-2011 at 02:29 PM.
HDPaintPro is offline   Reply With Quote