Peeling Wall Paint - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

peeling wall paint

we have a spot on a wall about 1 foot square that is peeling. Is it necessary to remove paint from the whole wall before repainting or can I just repair that one spot first? It is sand textured paint.

Advertisement

rubydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:00 AM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

peeling wall paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubydee View Post
we have a spot on a wall about 1 foot square that is peeling. Is it necessary to remove paint from the whole wall before repainting or can I just repair that one spot first? It is sand textured paint.
No, it's not necessary. But you'll definitely need to figure out why that small area is peeling, or you'll have the same problem. Determining why it's peeling will also dictate what primer you use before painting.

Advertisement

DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:20 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

peeling wall paint

Ruby, there could be a few reasons why you have a problem. Different causes of failure have different appearances. Can you take a pic to post? How old is the paint that is failing? Is it a new/fresh paint job? Also, it helps to know what's behind the wall where the failure is occuring. Is it an exterior wall where moisture could be entering? Is there a pipe or duct that could be causing an issue? I had a customer who was having water staining on a second floor ceiling, less than one year old house. Had the roofer check the roof, no problems. Turns out the duct installers left a section of of AC duct uninsulated in the attic that was condensing moisture and dripping onto the insulation/ceiling. You never know why a particular spot will fail. If it was a paint failure, it wouldn't be localized to one spot.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (01-23-2012)
Old 01-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,294

peeling wall paint

............and, once you find the source of the problem, you will find that patching textured (sand textured) walls is much easier than patching a regular wall. Hopefully, you still have some of the sand texture paint leftover.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #5

peeling wall paint

It's important to determine the cause of the paint failure considering it is localized on the wall.

Recently we were called back to a new construction for a paint failure. Upon inspection of the paint failure it was clear to me it was a moisture issue from a plug outlet above. Once we cut out the drywall it was clear there was a leak behind the vapor barrier, which was entering from a small hole in the vapor barrier around the plug outlet. Eventually after 1 1/2 hours outside with our pressure washer and a man in the attic to locate the leak at the chimney flashing along the roof.

Home owner's only regret was not calling us back as soon as they discovered the failing paint.
CB Painters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 672

peeling wall paint

Where is it on the wall? Top bottom, middle?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

peeling wall paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Painters View Post
It's important to determine the cause of the paint failure considering it is localized on the wall.

Recently we were called back to a new construction for a paint failure. Upon inspection of the paint failure it was clear to me it was a moisture issue from a plug outlet above. Once we cut out the drywall it was clear there was a leak behind the vapor barrier, which was entering from a small hole in the vapor barrier around the plug outlet. Eventually after 1 1/2 hours outside with our pressure washer and a man in the attic to locate the leak at the chimney flashing along the roof.

Home owner's only regret was not calling us back as soon as they discovered the failing paint.
It's amazing that the point of entry and the place it appears can be so distant. I've seen some crazy sheet over the years. It sometimes takes ingenuity and thinking outside the box to figure out where water is coming from. But, when you find it, you're a hero!
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #8

peeling wall paint

HOs took it as an "educational experience" that a pro's knowledge and experience are invaluable. I was happy they called us back and trusted us to take care of it for them rather then going through the hassle of getting that particular developer to take responsibility. Which was the case at that time.

Advertisement

CB Painters is offline   Reply With Quote