Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #1

Share |

Peeling Paint Problem

Hi all,

I am having a problem with my kids playroom!

We painted the walls recently (green), straight over the top of the old paint, and it is now peeling!!

The previous paint was fine! We didn't prime, we didn't rough it up, or anything like that. We are pretty sure (99%) it's latex on top of latex, but not 100% sure. So I suppose this is a two part question:
1) What is the easiest way to get rid of the current peeling paint? Hand peeling is obviously very time consuming.
2) How do we stop it from happening again, when we go to repaint?!

A guy at Home Depot said the only option is to rip down the drywall and start again, but that sounds a bit extreme....or so I'm hoping anyway!!

Thanks all
Glenn

gloriousglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #2

Peeling Paint Problem

The first thing you need to do is get away from Home Depot, the advice he gave you is not just bad it's downright stupid. Remove the loose paint, go around the edges with PEEL STOP triple thick, as per the directions. Then go over the whole wall with a bonding primer then paint with the new paint you got at a real paint store.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
gloriousglenn (08-29-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #3

Peeling Paint Problem

Taking down drywall is definitely too extreme, because the original paint was doing fine. Therefore the worst case scenario would be sanding off all the new green paint. That would most likely solve whatever problem existed with the surface of the old paint that kept the new paint from sticking. I assume the new paint was fresh and applied correctly. Washing the walls with a deglossing cleaner is never a bad idea if the original paint was not flat, but even if it was the cleaner part will still help.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
gloriousglenn (08-29-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 06:35 AM   #4

Peeling Paint Problem

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty pleased that the drywall doesn't have to come down!! I've only just finished putting up a new ceiling because of Stucco!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
...go around the edges with PEEL STOP triple thick, as per the directions...
Would I not potentially still have a problem with the rest of the green paint peeling away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
...Therefore the worst case scenario would be sanding off all the new green paint...
The first job then, would be to get rid of the green paint, and 'rough up' the paint underneath. Can I assume that the more coarse sandpaper the better?

Quote:
...I assume the new paint was fresh and applied correctly...
Yes. We thought we did it all correctly! In hindsight I would have roughed up the old stuff and primed it first!

Quote:
...Washing the walls with a deglossing cleaner is never a bad idea if the original paint was not flat, but even if it was the cleaner part will still help....
Deglossing cleaner now on the shopping list!

Thanks again guys.
Glenn
Old 08-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #5

Peeling Paint Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloriousglenn View Post
The first job then, would be to get rid of the green paint, and 'rough up' the paint underneath. Can I assume that the more coarse sandpaper the better?
Well, to a point, of course. 40 is too coarse. 150 is too fine. One problem is that the best grit for paint removal is coarser than the best grit for just scuffing a paint surface.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
ltd

Peeling Paint Problem

with out seeing it up close and personal, I would keep striping wit water or krud cutter . use green pads or better yet stripping pads and medium grit 3 m type sand paper and wet sand it .ok now prime walls with cover stain let dry .and paint away
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #7

Peeling Paint Problem

The only paint you have to remove is what is loose Peel stop will keep it from loose along the edges.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:18 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Peeling Paint Problem

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty pleased that the drywall doesn't have to come down!! I've only just finished putting up a new ceiling because of Stucco!!

Would I not potentially still have a problem with the rest of the green paint peeling away?

Yes. We thought we did it all correctly! In hindsight I would have roughed up the old stuff and primed it first!

Deglossing cleaner now on the shopping list!

Thanks again guys.
Glenn

If you are sanding, there is no need for this, in fact there is no need for this in the first place
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:21 AM   #9

Peeling Paint Problem

The thing about deglossers or liquid sandpaper or TSP type products is if you don't get them all off the wall they can cause more problems than they can fix.
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
cdaniels (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #10

Peeling Paint Problem

I say leave it like it is. It's kinda cool. Looks like a map of Lower Slobodia or some other far off land.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
gloriousglenn (10-21-2013), Will22 (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #11

Peeling Paint Problem

Quote:
The only paint you have to remove is what is loose Peel stop will keep it from loose along the edges.
The only thing I'm worried about this is the remaining green paint. I can rub my fingernail anywhere on this paint and it will come off, as it hasn't adhered properly anywhere. if I then paint over the top of this, wouldn't it still potentially be able to peel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
If you are sanding, there is no need for this, in fact there is no need for this in the first place
Quote:
The thing about deglossers or liquid sandpaper or TSP type products is if you don't get them all off the wall they can cause more problems than they can fix.
Thanks for that. It's interesting to see how there is obviously so many ways to skin a cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
I say leave it like it is. It's kinda cool. Looks like a map of Lower Slobodia or some other far off land.
If I thought I could convince the wife of this, I would!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #12

Peeling Paint Problem

Hmm, looks just like one of my rooms that I'm peeling off big sheets. Other areas I can rub my finger on to get a peel started.

remove, prime, paint
toastandjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #13

Peeling Paint Problem

If it is adhering that bad you have no choice but to sand it all off prime, and repaint.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Peeling Paint Problem

Quote:
If it is adhering that bad you have no choice but to sand it all off prime, and repaint.

I agree, the green must go
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #15

Peeling Paint Problem

Quote:
It's interesting to see how there is obviously so many ways to skin a cat.
It depends on the type of cleaner. There are now non-TSP cleaners and deglossers that are designed for not having to rinse them off. I've had good success with Klean-Strip Easy Liquid Sander Deglosser. No sanding (assuming a smooth surface to begin with) and no rinsing before painting.