Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #1

Share |

peeling paint on old plaster ceiling

We just started repainting our living room. Previous homeowners had badly painted this ceiling, so when it was started, we noticed the paint had bubbled and started to peel in the areas where our painter had started. I figured that he had inadvertently put latex over oil based paint. So we started to scrap what this person did and noticed other areas where he had not painted were also peeling. The more we scrapped, the more the scrapping it needed.

The ceiling itself is lathe and plaster and has many, many cracks. So we don't know whether the lathe is coming loose (as it was in the foyer) or the plaster coming off the lathe. I am reluctant in removing the ceiling - as we had done in the foyer (talk about a mess, but it did come out nice) and the lathe in there was supported by rusted nails (there was water damage there). Underneath the scrapped parts, the coating is smooth and white - so it may be calcimine paint as the house was built in 1898.

This is a large room (20x18), has no water leaks. We thought about skim coating it or priming it with Killz and going over it with a textured paint.

Any recommendations?

zymurgea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
Tools-For-The-Trades

Send a message via Skype™ to Ladderpouch.com

You are in a tough spot. I would agree that the ceiling is a calcimine. Unfortunately Kilz is too light an oil to put up there. Cal-cote or a similiar calcimine specific oil product is the way to go. Scrape and sand off the loose stuff and then apply cal-coat to the entire surface to block the calcimine. At that point you can start the patching. It's alot of work !!! If the ceiling is very badly damaged you can blueboard over the ceiling and eliminate the calcimine problem. Plasterers are not so busy right now- you might be able to get a good price. Good luck. Ladderpouch.

Ladderpouch.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #3

I've been doing a bit more research on the project, so I'm also interested in what you think:

Sand and scrap what we can, then use Gardz over the mess and finally hit with a textured paint (to hide the cracks). Of course we would use an oil based paint on the mess to hopefully prevent further problems - at least for awhile.

Since I'm unemployed presently, I can't hire anyone to take over the project.

Thanks for your input.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Sand and scrap what we can, then use Gardz over the mess and finally hit with a textured paint (to hide the cracks). Of course we would use an oil based paint on the mess to hopefully prevent further problems - at least for awhile.

I would do the first part, not sure what you mean by then using an oil for the second.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:45 PM   #5

From what I've read using an oil based paint would better than using an acrylic or latex paint over the mess as the water in acrylic paint would encourage the calcimine paint to further deteriorate. I would feel more secure using that over the Gardz product than the water based stuff.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #6

Guardz is a good problem solver primer, but I am not sure how well it will do over calcimine. If it were me I would probably sheetrock over the ceiling.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
Tools-For-The-Trades

Send a message via Skype™ to Ladderpouch.com

I understand that you can't afford the blueboard. I think your best option is Cal - coat, then patch and then texture paint. Guardz won't do it!!!!
Ladderpouch.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:42 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

If and I mean IF it is actually calcimine, you MUST remove all traces of it for anything else to bond to the plaster. If this cannot be done , then it would be a good idea to replace the ceiling.Bad news but the truth. Gardz would just be a stop gap measure,Cal-cote would be the best bet, but you still need to remove the calcimine and it is a LOT of work, trust me

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote