Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

peeling paint and drywall

I've slowly been making progress in my kitchen and dining room removing the painted over wallpaper and prepping the walls for a fresh coat of paint.

Today I started working on a new area in the kitchen and ran into some trouble. I was checking to see if it was wallpaper and as I worked on the edge of the wall it started to peel away in big sheets. After a few minutes I realized what I was peeling wasn't wallpaper! It seems to be the paint and sheetrock paper coming off in together because what's underneath is a chalky wall.

What I want to know, is this a paint failure problem? Do I need to peel the rest of the unstable paint/paper off and start over or is it ok to stop and apply guardz to the damaged areas, patch and paint.

Thanks!

ETA-- picture of my mess
Attached Thumbnails
peeling paint and drywall-wp_001091.jpg  

Last edited by Hazelnut3; 08-12-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Hazelnut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hazelnut3 For This Useful Post:
hummer4x4guy (09-03-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 04:27 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,120

You need to remove anything that is loose, apply Gardz, skim and sand smooth, clean, Gardz again, paint

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:48 AM   #3
ltd

Rewards Points: 506

with out being up close and personable. that is still painted wallpaper .the dry wall seems undisturbed .what you seeing is a skim with joint compound going over a patch ,seem, or trueing up the wall.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Good question. About 80% of all coating failures can be directly attributed to unsatisfactory surface preparation that affects coating adhesion. Additionally, it is generally agreed that a cleaner surface will result in better coating performance. So yes, definitely clear the surface of any cracked or peeling wallpaper before before you proceed.
----
Harrison Contracting Company
brad222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Brad,
I am dealing with the exact same issue now. 1958 built house and I have white walls and ceiling in my living room with gold glitter thrown into it. Not my doing naturally.

So I started to peel off the paint and it was coming off rather easily for the most part and then I began to wonder if I was dealing with some type of a plaster wall but it was all too smooth.
My question is after I fill in any lil divits in the drywall should I go over the wall with some type of a tack cloth to remove any dust..or just run the shop vac over the wall with the wide squeegie attachment?
hummer4x4guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

According to the information I gathered on my 1952 house, that is old wall board. Back then (in my neighborhood), it was common to wallpaper directly to the wallboard. Removing it sometimes peels off the wallboard exterior (it looks like peeling cardboard and then chunks of rock come off too).

I was able to salvage some of mine without re-drywalling the entire house but it took a lot of effort. Also the old wallboard was thicker so if you have to marry old with new, you have to buy thicker board. The old is very brittle so drilling into it can be challenging. We replaced the wall in our kitchen where we were attaching new cabinets because the old stuff was just crumbling.

Good luck!