Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2011, 08:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

peeling interior paint

So, here's my dilema. I had to patch some drywall. After cutting out the bad area, I had some loose paint around the hole. Loose like it was not adhered to the wall. Not just the top layer of paint, the layer next to the drywall. There is approx 3 coats of paint on the wall. I took my knife and got under the edge of paint and started sliding it along to get all the loose paint off. IT JUST WON"T QUIT! Looks like I could pull all the paint off the wall if I kept going. I stopped when I had enough off to put the drywall patch on and tape the edges.
What caused this? No or poorly applied primer? Dusty conditions when first painted? Poor paint?
What can I do short of peeling all the paint off the wall?
I should add that the drywall was being patched because of water damage. The condition is repaired and I just need to get the drywall fixed and painted. Thanks

packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

peeling interior paint

Does it look like this?

Kitchen ceiling paint is peeling in sheets!

That is what I am working on - complete peeling of ceiling paint (and maybe on the walls too)

htabbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:48 AM   #3

peeling interior paint

Mine's similar, but the paint is hard and brittle. It breaks off in different size chunks. I'm sanding the edge where it seems to be better adhered to the wall.
Your's actually looks like more of pain. Good luck
Old 12-30-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,068

peeling interior paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by packer_rich View Post
So, here's my dilema. I had to patch some drywall. After cutting out the bad area, I had some loose paint around the hole. Loose like it was not adhered to the wall. Not just the top layer of paint, the layer next to the drywall. There is approx 3 coats of paint on the wall. I took my knife and got under the edge of paint and started sliding it along to get all the loose paint off. IT JUST WON"T QUIT! Looks like I could pull all the paint off the wall if I kept going. I stopped when I had enough off to put the drywall patch on and tape the edges.
What caused this? No or poorly applied primer? Dusty conditions when first painted? Poor paint?
What can I do short of peeling all the paint off the wall?
I should add that the drywall was being patched because of water damage. The condition is repaired and I just need to get the drywall fixed and painted. Thanks
Sounds to me like they didn't properly prime the drywall before painting.

I suppose you could try to sand the edge of the paint smooth with 220 grit paper and prime & paint it, but I also think we all know what really needs to be done.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:24 PM   #5

peeling interior paint

I was hoping there would be a secret magic trick I could use. I guess I'll scrape it until I can't scrape any more.