Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2009, 12:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Peeling house stain

Hello, I have a 20 year old ceder sided home, that was stained with oil base white in color, over the years changed to dark green latex stain, the thing is only after two years it is peeling really bad, and bubbles up in spots in back side of house, and peeling off in other parts of the house. Should we use oil based stain to fix or can we use a different latex stain or use reg house paint?. Both stains were from Sherwin Williams. Any thoughts, Thanks, Janecjh ,PS, live in Northeast

janecjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 502

Peeling house stain

Your first step will be to remove ALL the failing stain. If it's stuck, you can leave it alone, but if it's loose, it must be p-washed, scraped, or sanded. Topcoat w/ oil-base primer, and then the topcoat of your choice. Talk it over with SW to figure out what is appropriate.

SirWired

sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Peeling house stain

You should also diagnose the problem before fixing it. If the paint has failed and is all the way down to bare wood you can assume you have a moisture problem with in the home. Even scraping and repainting will not solve a moisture problem. Make sure all your vents are clear and operational like the soffits, ridge, gable ends. You also may want to consider siding wedges in the real troubled areas.

If its just the top coat and the oil finish still is stuck on there good it may well be a paint failure but it could also be a surface that wasn't cleaned. Was the house washed before painting?
BMDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Peeling house stain

Thank you for the response. Will ask SW again on what to use.
janecjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,058

Peeling house stain

Your problem is that you have "Latex Stain" on your house. Out of all the decks and houses I have stained with oil, I have NEVER had to go back and fix any peeling. The one time I used a latex stain we had to go back to the ouse after one winter and fix a whole bunch of peeling.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote