DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Peeling ceiling paint

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  cdaniels 
#1 ·
I have an open attic with insulation between the joists. In one room downstairs the paint is peeling only along one side of the room exactly where the joist is. The ceiling is not wet. What gives

#6 ·
What do you mean by "exactly where the joist is" A joist usually runs the entire width of the room. This is a distinct area somewhere toward the middle of the room, is it not?

Is this a plaster ceiling?

#7 · (Edited)
Looking at the pic closely, it appears to be a spot that has been repaired before. Really check to make sure this isn't a moisture problem. Is there a bathroom above that ceiling and a toilet or bathtub leaked? If moisture isn't the culprit, it could be that the paint never bonded properly to the drywall or the joint compound. Perhaps the ceiling had drywall dust on it before it was painted. Maybe it wasn't even primed. These are just guesses of course, but, at least it gives you some direction and you can begin eliminating things that ARE NOT causing the problem until you pinpoint WHAT THE PROBLEM IS.

Oops I re read your post and there is attic space above that spot.......make sure there is not a leak in the roof. Sometimes the water drips down into the insulation and stays damp for long periods of time. The moisture is hardly noticeable but it does make it's way through the insulation an pools on top of the drywall and eventually pops off the paint.

#11 ·
Whatever caused it, you need to solve it.

I would scrape the loose stuff off until I found solid adhesion.
is the exposed surface chalky? looks suspicious. I would then coat that ( before repairs) with Gardz which will penetrate and seal. make sure to lock down the edges with gardz.
Then skim with joint compound, sand smooth, reprime, paint ceiling.

If there is a problem source like moisture- that of course needs to be addressed before any repair can be expected to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.