Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2009, 02:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Peeling in '60s bathroom

In our 1961 Michigan house, I'm looking at repainting the half-bath. Maybe 1/4 of the wall surface was peeling right off or could be easily scraped off. Then I get to the edge of the damaged area and can scrape nothing more. In the scraped area, the wall is extremely smooth and appears to be some type of sheetrock. There is also some kind of pinkish residue on the white walls. This can rub off pretty easily with plain water and is slightly chalky on my rag. I don't see any other coats of paint though. The ceiling looks fine and there isn't any evidence of water damage anywhere.

I'm guessing bad prep work originally and I'm trying to avoid repeating the mistake. Any clues on what the problem is and how to proceed with painting?

phoulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Peeling in '60s bathroom

might have encountered plaster not sheetrock. Too much moisture has caused what you are seeing now. sand down all scraped areas to a feathered edge. Prime with a sealing primer. Coat with two coats of Zinsser's Perma White to avoid more problems. Be sure you have an adequate bath fan and that it is used after any bath or shower. It should stay on for 25 minutes after the bath is done. Timer switches are available made for this task.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Peeling in '60s bathroom

Thanks Bob. After poking around a bit more (in the bathroom and here on the forum) you're right. Strange that it's the only plaster room in the house which is why I didn't expect it. I'm well on my way though.
phoulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Peeling in '60s bathroom

Not to burst your bubble. Given the age of the house, and what you describe, you are most probably dealing with at least a few layers of lead based paint.

You should be very careful. Hire a contractor to get rid of it and abate it properly.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote