Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #1

Share |

Peeled wallpaper down to bare paper facing on drywall, can I hang new wallpaper? PICS

Hey guys and gals,

On the bulkhead above my kitchen cabinets there was some country style "Live, Laugh, Love" wallpaper that I tore down. It seemed to have been applied over 1 or 2 other layers of wallpaper. I did not use any removal gel but rather just scored with a razor blade and peeled as much as I could off because I knew that it was unfinished drywall underneath and was in bad shape. Can I hang new wallpaper right over this or do I need to prime first for good adhesion? The white areas are drywall mud or areas where the backing of the old wallpaper will not come off. The brown areas are the paper facing of the drywall. Pictures below.
Attached Images

tunabreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Peeled wallpaper down to bare paper facing on drywall, can I hang new wallpaper? PICS

Apply Gardz, let dry, sand smooth, skim to get relativly smooth, sand, clean, apply Gardz, hang paper
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
tunabreath (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Apply Gardz, let dry, sand smooth, skim to get relativly smooth, sand, clean, apply Gardz, hang paper
Would Zinsser Bullseye water based primer/sealer work? I already have a gallon of it. Also, as far as skimming it with drywall mud, is it necessary since I am using a textured paper that will hide any imperfections? I couldn't see any imperfections on the bulkhead with the other paper hung until I stripped it down to bare drywall. I did slap some mude on the outside corners.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunabreath View Post
Would Zinsser Bullseye water based primer/sealer work? I already have a gallon of it. Also, as far as skimming it with drywall mud, is it necessary since I am using a textured paper that will hide any imperfections? I couldn't see any imperfections on the bulkhead with the other paper hung until I stripped it down to bare drywall. I did slap some mude on the outside corners.

Get the Gardz, it WILL work, the Bullseye MIGHT work for the priming the torn sheetrock but will not work as a wall covering primer

Wrong, it will hide nothing.

You have major damage after stripping( because the walls were not properly primed first:censor ed and any paper you put on will telescope that through the paper, trust me.

The only way to do the job right is to do it the way I first posted, now, it is you're house , so do whatever.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #5

Listen to Chris........as i look at your pics again I see an unbelievable amount of seams on that bulkhead. Also, you will find that corners are notoriously short on mud creating high and low spots. It's such a small area, you may as well do it up right, and for that, follow Chris's advice.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Get the Gardz, it WILL work, the Bullseye MIGHT work for the priming the torn sheetrock but will not work as a wall covering primer

Wrong, it will hide nothing.

You have major damage after stripping( because the walls were not properly primed first:censor ed and any paper you put on will telescope that through the paper, trust me.

The only way to do the job right is to do it the way I first posted, now, it is you're house , so do whatever.
I appreciate your help and input. You are very knowledgeable on this.

But the wallpaper that was there hid all the imperfections in the drywall and the uneven seams. In fact, those seams were just mudded and taped and never even sanded at all and they never showed through.

If I am going to skim the whole bulkhead then I may as well paint it instead of the wallpaper. The wallpaper is an attempt to avoid skimming it.

Thanks for your help.