DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Painting (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/)
-   -   Peeled wallpaper down to bare paper facing on drywall, can I hang new wallpaper? PICS (http://www.diychatroom.com/f4/peeled-wallpaper-down-bare-paper-facing-drywall-can-i-hang-new-wallpaper-pics-152675/)

tunabreath 08-05-2012 10:18 AM

Peeled wallpaper down to bare paper facing on drywall, can I hang new wallpaper? PICS
 
2 Attachment(s)
Hey guys and gals,

On the bulkhead above my kitchen cabinets there was some country style "Live, Laugh, Love" wallpaper that I tore down. It seemed to have been applied over 1 or 2 other layers of wallpaper. I did not use any removal gel but rather just scored with a razor blade and peeled as much as I could off because I knew that it was unfinished drywall underneath and was in bad shape. Can I hang new wallpaper right over this or do I need to prime first for good adhesion? The white areas are drywall mud or areas where the backing of the old wallpaper will not come off. The brown areas are the paper facing of the drywall. Pictures below.

chrisn 08-05-2012 10:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Apply Gardz, let dry, sand smooth, skim to get relativly smooth, sand, clean, apply Gardz, hang paper

tunabreath 08-05-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisn (Post 981982)
Apply Gardz, let dry, sand smooth, skim to get relativly smooth, sand, clean, apply Gardz, hang paper

Would Zinsser Bullseye water based primer/sealer work? I already have a gallon of it. Also, as far as skimming it with drywall mud, is it necessary since I am using a textured paper that will hide any imperfections? I couldn't see any imperfections on the bulkhead with the other paper hung until I stripped it down to bare drywall. I did slap some mude on the outside corners.

chrisn 08-05-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tunabreath (Post 981995)
Would Zinsser Bullseye water based primer/sealer work? I already have a gallon of it. Also, as far as skimming it with drywall mud, is it necessary since I am using a textured paper that will hide any imperfections? I couldn't see any imperfections on the bulkhead with the other paper hung until I stripped it down to bare drywall. I did slap some mude on the outside corners.


Get the Gardz, it WILL work, the Bullseye MIGHT work for the priming the torn sheetrock but will not work as a wall covering primer

Wrong, it will hide nothing.

You have major damage after stripping( because the walls were not properly primed first:furious::furious::censored::censored::censor ed:) and any paper you put on will telescope that through the paper, trust me.

The only way to do the job right is to do it the way I first posted, now, it is you're house , so do whatever.

Gymschu 08-05-2012 05:39 PM

Listen to Chris........as i look at your pics again I see an unbelievable amount of seams on that bulkhead. Also, you will find that corners are notoriously short on mud creating high and low spots. It's such a small area, you may as well do it up right, and for that, follow Chris's advice.

tunabreath 08-05-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisn (Post 982233)
Get the Gardz, it WILL work, the Bullseye MIGHT work for the priming the torn sheetrock but will not work as a wall covering primer

Wrong, it will hide nothing.

You have major damage after stripping( because the walls were not properly primed first:furious::furious::censored::censored::censor ed:) and any paper you put on will telescope that through the paper, trust me.

The only way to do the job right is to do it the way I first posted, now, it is you're house , so do whatever.

I appreciate your help and input. You are very knowledgeable on this.

But the wallpaper that was there hid all the imperfections in the drywall and the uneven seams. In fact, those seams were just mudded and taped and never even sanded at all and they never showed through.

If I am going to skim the whole bulkhead then I may as well paint it instead of the wallpaper. The wallpaper is an attempt to avoid skimming it.

Thanks for your help.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved