Peel Away 1 Stripper, What Primer? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
Don't WANNA do it myself

Rewards Points: 500

Peel Away 1 stripper, what primer?

First, Peel Away 1 is the best stripper I have ever used. It really DOES take off 20 layers of paint in one application. It's easy, doesn't smell, doesn't burn your skin off, love love love it. Yes, you have to neutralize after, but that's not a big deal.

We did have some trouble with it on wood that was damaged already, but that's the problem with the wood, not the stripper in my opinion. So, no it's not perfect, but I still love it! And of course, HD has now stopped carrying it. ARGH!

Anyway, it says only use a laytex primer after, but I have to seal knots. Will shellac primer (BIN) work as well? Does anyone know? I looked through their website and the paperwork that came with it but can't find anything.

Thanks!

Advertisement

Fixing the re-muddling one room at a time...
mnp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

You might be better off using plain old shellac just on the knots unless you have tons of them. BIN should be fine but it is alcohol based and you want to do everything with it. It is a little hard to work with and make sure you have more than adequate ventilation.

I would use shellac and something like Benjamin Moore Fresh start water based primer. Other Zinsser products will work well too. Just see what is on sale at your paint store. Benjamin Moore dealers and Sherwin Williams (and I suspect other paint stores) should be running Spring sales about now so look in the paper or online for coupons.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Don't WANNA do it myself

I guess my question is, will any residual stripper cause a problem with the shellac? As I understand it, it would cause a problem with an oil based primer, which is why they recommend laytex. But I'm not confident in the laytex blocking out the knots, but I know the shellac will.

I already have the shellac BIN, I'm just not sure about using it on the stripped woodwork, and after all the time and energy we took to strip it all, I don't want the paint to just start coming off!

All of my paint is Benjamin Moore. It's the only stuff I use.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I don't see that using BIN or shellac would be a problem but when in doubt, I would contact customer support from either or both the BIN or stripper folks.

I personally think BIN is a great sealer/primer combination and for some things (like priming a smoker home) it is about all the works. I think it is too thin to work well as a primer/underlay for something like nice semi-gloss on woodwork and think other than for spot priming, you will get better overall results with a primer that has more body to it.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
Don't WANNA do it myself

Our house was a rooming house before we bought it. The nicotine pretty much oozes out of the walls, it's disgusting. The puddles that came out from under the stripper were... special...

I'll probably spot prime with the shellac, then go over it with laytex primer, then the paint. Thanks!

Old 04-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 532

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnp13 View Post
I guess my question is, will any residual stripper cause a problem with the shellac? As I understand it, it would cause a problem with an oil based primer, which is why they recommend laytex. But I'm not confident in the laytex blocking out the knots, but I know the shellac will.

I already have the shellac BIN, I'm just not sure about using it on the stripped woodwork, and after all the time and energy we took to strip it all, I don't want the paint to just start coming off!

All of my paint is Benjamin Moore. It's the only stuff I use.
We use Peel Away stripper a lot. Literally hundreds of gallons over the past few years. As long as you neutralized properly, cleaned the substrate and make sure you have no globs of stripper dwelling any place you should be able to use shellac, oil base or water base with out having to worry about residual stripper. We sometimes use oil base and sometimes water base products after stripping with no problems, but again it comes down to neutralizing the substrate properly and making sure there is no stripper dwelling any place.

Advertisement

housepaintingny is online now   Reply With Quote