Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2009, 10:49 AM   #1

Share |

Peel Away 1

Has anyone ever used Peel Away 1? Unfortunatly, I was sold this product to remove the latex paint on my wooden stairs that I have decided to stain instead. I see now on the directions that it is only for wood that is going to be repainted because it darkens the wood. I am going a much darker color varnish on the stairs anyways so I am wondering if there would be another reason that this wont work. If it makes the wood darker, I'm fine with that but if the varnish bubbles up after Im done refinishing because of some chemical reaction from the Peel Away product then I will probably be found in an abandoned bus in alaska somewhere because this stair project is driving me over the edge.

thanks
kimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:53 AM   #2
Doer of Many Things

Peel Away 1

So long as you got the neutralizer with it you shouldn't have anything to worry about. We've used and sold a ton of the stuff. You put the paste on, press the paper into it and let it set for a few hours. Peel the paper back and use a putty knife as you go to help with removal. Also have some water handy. Sometimes you'll need to rewet it a bit as you work to get it peeling well. After you have it completely clean you have to spray it with a neutralizer to remove the alkaline residue. If you are using a darker stain then the discoloration shouldn't matter much and there shouldn't be any other drawbacks.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:45 AM   #3

Peel Away 1

The directions say 12 hours, but its only three coats of paint that I just put on a week ago. If it really only takes four hours or so I would really be happy because I just took in my niece and her two kids and working around their schedule is no fun (worrying about them being home during the application-scary stuff)

It says for indoor use that I could use white vinager as a neutralizer..but if you think their product would be a wiser choice I will grab some.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate your help!
Old 08-29-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
Coatings Nerd

Peel Away 1

Im assuming that the stairs are Oak. The paint gets into the grain and is a pain to completely remove. You may need to do some sanding after you strip. I would get some 60-80 grit sandpaper and an electric palm sander. This should work well in getting any remaining paint off after you strip. It should also brighten the wood some and make it ready for stain.
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #5

Peel Away 1

I have no idea what the stairs are made of..sorry
unfortunatly, the neighborhood was built pretty much all at once in the mid 70's and this area is well known for poor quality split level ranches so ..if anything was oak I would be surprised!

I will do that..sounds like a plan..thank you so much for your help
Old 08-30-2009, 07:01 AM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

Peel Away 1

unlikely it is anything but oak. but sanding after neutralizing will give you the results you want. Use a precondtioner, stain, sealer and two top coats for the refinishing.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:30 AM   #7

Peel Away 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
unlikely it is anything but oak. but sanding after neutralizing will give you the results you want. Use a precondtioner, stain, sealer and two top coats for the refinishing.
ah, I was wondering if I should use a preconditioner. I bought a pre sealer (that you have to mix with denatured alcohol) and some preconditioner.

Is this the correct order after sanding?:

preconditioner, pre sealer, stain, sealer , then from my understanding the wood filler (I have alot of carpet tack holes) , then poly?

I have been painting walls while trying to gather up enough info to do this correctly...I really wish I found this forum before I bought the paint..not so happy with it. Oh well, next time

The only thing I do not like about this forum is that I really can't help anyone. I hate that..its sort of just me asking a bunch of questions, but I am not contributing.
Thanks to everyone here that takes their time to help with questions..its really a nice thing you are doing
Old 08-30-2009, 08:02 AM   #8
the Musigician

Peel Away 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimber View Post
I really wish I found this forum before I bought the paint..not so happy with it.
i just HAVE to ask, what brand of paint?

DXM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Peel Away 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
i just HAVE to ask, what brand of paint?

DXM
Care to take a guess?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:35 AM   #10
the Musigician

Peel Away 1

nah.... too easy....

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:05 PM   #11

Peel Away 1

Kimber, you're actually contributing just by asking a question.

If someone does a search for 'Peel Away 1', they'll come across this thread and possibly have some of their own questions answered.

My house was also built in the 70's and is a split-level. I pulled the carpet up off the steps about 8 or 9 years ago. They're made of oak, but they've never had any kind of a finish put on them.

All these years I've been trying to decide what to do with them. I saw a picture where the steps were stained dark and the risers were painted white. The wood that goes along side the steps (skirting?)was painted white also. It all looked really sharp.

I thought about staining the risers the same color as the steps, but they're made of some kind of pine. So paint seems like the only other option, but I'm afraid it will get scuffed from shoes and look bad after a few months.

Are you staining the steps, risers and the wood that runs along side the steps?

If you can, it would be great if you could post some pictures.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:03 PM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Peel Away 1

The wood that goes along side the steps (skirting?)was painted white also.

Stringer?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:50 PM   #13

Peel Away 1

That's the word I was looking for.

Thanks Chrisn
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:31 PM   #14
Remodeling Contractor

Peel Away 1

not sure that you will need a pre-sealer. Order was correct. preconditioner soaks in to prevent blotching and uneven stain penetration. Sealer raises the grain. Sand after this. wood filler would go before stain to the filler will match color. Or do it last with wood putty, mixing the color yourself to get a perfect match.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #15

Peel Away 1

I used to get emails everytime I got a response on my threads..idk..can't seem to figure anything out anymore.

Thanks Bob

gma..I haven't even had the house to myself to even start this project over again..its been one mess after another.

It never occured to me that the tread and the risers were two different woods (duh) but getting the paint off the risers has been one heck of a fight. Our stairs were finished at one time.. but they just looked terrible and you were right about the scuffs on the risers..you would scrub but they still looked a mess right afterwards due to them being kicked constantly. I was even toying with the idea of putting some decorative ..idk..rock looking tile on there.

I think if I painted anything white it would be incredibly dumb of me..with two dogs , now two kids, and it just being such a high traffic area. Im stumped. I was going to strip or at least sand the stringers and paint them the dark brown that I originally painted the steps. Stain and poly the stairs- and the risers? ..I still dont know..im sort of losing my direction.

Thank you so much for your help everyone..if it comes out decent I will take a picture..if it doesn't I'm going on to another project and hope you all forget to ask me about the stairs