Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2008, 09:32 PM   #1

Share |

Pealing Ceiling Paint

My ceiling in my bedroom which is a textured is peeling. The previous owner appears to have many coats of paint on the ceiling. Itís peeling down to the drywall only in a certain area. What can I do to repair this? I really donít want to scrap the entire ceiling. Any suggestions?

Last edited by tate16t; 08-19-2008 at 09:45 PM.
tate16t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:27 AM   #2

Pealing Ceiling Paint

The first job is to find out why the paint on the ceiling is peeling. What's above that ceiling?

I'd get some clear plastic, some tape and a "hygrometer" (which measures relative humidity) from Lee Valley. Put up the plastic on the affected area, tape it to the ceiling around it's perimeter and slip the hygrometer in behind the plastic just before finishing the taping.

Now watch that hygrometer needle. If it rises, then you know there is moisture coming into the air behind the plastic, and that means it must be coming through the ceiling drywall. Perhaps condensation forming on a cold water pipe above the ceiling? Perhaps water leakage from an attic A/C unit?

Basically, the more you look, the more you find. The more you find out, the more you know and the sooner you stumble upon the cause of the problem.

Might also be a good idea to paint some primer onto where the other primer peeled off several days before covering with plastic and taping. That way you could see if the primer peels when the hygrometer reading is high, or if the hygrometer reading rises, all the time the hygrometer is rising. Every paint will peel if too much moisture gets under it, but certain kinds of paints and primers (those made from "vinyl acrylic" resins) are more prone to crack and peel under moist conditions.

Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:27 PM   #3

Pealing Ceiling Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
The first job is to find out why the paint on the ceiling is peeling. What's above that ceiling?

I'd get some clear plastic, some tape and a "hygrometer" (which measures relative humidity) from Lee Valley. Put up the plastic on the affected area, tape it to the ceiling around it's perimeter and slip the hygrometer in behind the plastic just before finishing the taping.

Now watch that hygrometer needle. If it rises, then you know there is moisture coming into the air behind the plastic, and that means it must be coming through the ceiling drywall. Perhaps condensation forming on a cold water pipe above the ceiling? Perhaps water leakage from an attic A/C unit?

Basically, the more you look, the more you find. The more you find out, the more you know and the sooner you stumble upon the cause of the problem.

Might also be a good idea to paint some primer onto where the other primer peeled off several days before covering with plastic and taping. That way you could see if the primer peels when the hygrometer reading is high, or if the hygrometer reading rises, all the time the hygrometer is rising. Every paint will peel if too much moisture gets under it, but certain kinds of paints and primers (those made from "vinyl acrylic" resins) are more prone to crack and peel under moist conditions.
Thanks,

I believe the paint is peeling due to a bad paint job. I donít believe a primer was used. I say this because of how the paint peeled very cleanly down to the drywall. Also there are a few coats of paint, the last being a textured paint. Thereís nothing above. Itís a pitched roof. The roof was replaced 3 or more years ago. The problem existed before and after but stopped well after. Iím interested in a repair remedy.
tate16t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:43 PM   #4

Pealing Ceiling Paint

Well, the first thing I think I'd do is take some ordinary masking tape (the pale yellow stuff) and stick it to the drywall and pull it off to see if it comes off with about the same or less force than you'd expect. If it's less, there may be something on the surface of the drywall preventing the paint (and tape) from sticking properly. In that case, try cleaning with mineral spirits, allow to dry completely, try tape test again, and if that doesn't do any good, try cleaning with a little Mr. Clean in water, allow to dry completely and then try the tape test again.

If the tape pulls of with as much resistance as you'd expect, there isn't anything interfering with adhesion, so I'd pull off as much paint around the bare area as comes off without a bloody great fight, and prime it.

Then, just wait to see if that primer starts wanting to peel off in a week or two.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:03 PM   #5

Pealing Ceiling Paint

I had a couple of problem ceilings that I was constantly hiring someone to repair and could never get the plaster work to match that great, so I finally just had someone scrape off all the old plaster and put beadboard over them and added crown molding. Now they look beautiful.
txlegalpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:12 PM   #6
Don't know it all, yet!

Pealing Ceiling Paint

I had the same problem around the light fixtures in several rooms. I scraped off what was peeling, primed, repainted the whole ceiling (which I was going to do anyway). No problem since then.

FYI- This whole house was built very shoddily. I considered suing the builder about two years after moving in and having continual problems. However, the county had several hundred thousand dollars' worth of leins on unpaid taxes, not to mention other complaints. So all I could have done was get in line. The builder was banned from the county for several years.

Finding out what caused this is good advice. 99% of the time I would agree so I hope no one takes offense here. However, since you have not mentioned leak stains or any problems other than the peeling, I think that you would not cover up any problem by trying just repainting with proper preparation.