Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2013, 04:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Patchy paintwork

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and really hoping someone can offer some advice.

We are currently decorating our dining room. As the walls weren't the best we put up some superfresco textured paper and then painted it. The paint we have used is the Dulux matt one that you get mixed in store...we used a roller to do the main walls and a brush to edge in the top/bottom/corners.

We have currently put 2 coats on and the finish is terrible. Around the top/bottom edges where the edging has overlapped the rollering there is a darker line, this is the same in the corners and generally on the flat walls it also looks very patchy.

Can anyone suggest anything to solve this problem? I'm not too sure what we have done wrong, I;m hoping that it is just still drying but I'm not too convinced (first coat was done approx 4 days ago, 2nd on Tues, the edging was done Tues/last night).

Many thanks in advance!

RhiManchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,352

Patchy paintwork

To late now, but did you prime it first?

Old 11-21-2013, 06:02 AM   #3

Patchy paintwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
To late now, but did you prime it first?
Hi there,

No we didn't, I wasn't aware you needed to prime paintable wallpaper? Is this where we have gone wrong?
Old 11-21-2013, 06:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,326

Patchy paintwork

Do not know your skill level so my suggestion would be mask off the ceiling, yea I know PITA, then roll clear up. This will give you uniform thickness and texture. If you are skilled enough with the roller skip the mask and roll as close as you can get.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:04 AM   #5

Patchy paintwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Do not know your skill level so my suggestion would be mask off the ceiling, yea I know PITA, then roll clear up. This will give you uniform thickness and texture. If you are skilled enough with the roller skip the mask and roll as close as you can get.
Ok, we will try that then. Would you put quite a lot of paint on the roller? Having googled it I think our main issue is flashing or lapping...the paint seems to be drying really quickly?
Old 11-21-2013, 06:09 AM   #6

Patchy paintwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhiManchester View Post
Hi there,

No we didn't, I wasn't aware you needed to prime paintable wallpaper? Is this where we have gone wrong?
I should have posted this first the difference is because of the the way a brush applies paint compared to the way a roller applies paint. A brush applies paint fairly smooth and can be thick or thin. A roller applies paint more evenly and leaves a stipple effect, a little like orange peel. Where these two effects meet they really stand out. That is why you must roll as close as possible or you get this picture frame effect.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (11-21-2013), RhiManchester (11-21-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #7

Patchy paintwork

Quote:
I should have posted this first the difference is because of the the way a brush applies paint compared to the way a roller applies paint. A brush applies paint fairly smooth and can be thick or thin. A roller applies paint more evenly and leaves a stipple effect, a little like orange peel. Where these two effects meet they really stand out. That is why you must roll as close as possible or you get this picture frame effect.
Ok great...I think we will have to do an extra coat of the edging, would be be best to do this, then roller right up to the the top, or would you roller then edge?

We seem to have patches even where we have rollered all over and we are up to 3 coats, do you think an extra coat will help?
Old 11-21-2013, 06:14 AM   #8

Patchy paintwork

Quote:
Ok, we will try that then. Would you put quite a lot of paint on the roller? Having googled it I think our main issue is flashing or lapping...the paint seems to be drying really quickly?
No don't load your roller extra heavy. What I like to use is what we call a weinie roller. One of those 4" rollers get one that has plastic in the end not nap, and get it in the same size nap as your big roller. The reason for the small roller is you have better control as you don't want to bump the ceiling.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:25 AM   #9

Patchy paintwork

Quote:
Ok great...I think we will have to do an extra coat of the edging, would be be best to do this, then roller right up to the the top, or would you roller then edge?

We seem to have patches even where we have rollered all over and we are up to 3 coats, do you think an extra coat will help?
I would just roller the edge And for the corners if you go with the weinie roller also pick up a pack (cheap) of covers in the same nap as your big roller with nap on the end. Use this in your corners. With the nap on the end you can go all the way in the corner, no need to brush the corners at all.
I am not familiar with the paint you are using but from what I have read it is good paint. One problem might be your roller you don't say what nap thickness it is, but to do textured the least it should be is 1/2".
Old 11-21-2013, 06:51 AM   #10

Patchy paintwork

Quote:
I would just roller the edge And for the corners if you go with the weinie roller also pick up a pack (cheap) of covers in the same nap as your big roller with nap on the end. Use this in your corners. With the nap on the end you can go all the way in the corner, no need to brush the corners at all.
I am not familiar with the paint you are using but from what I have read it is good paint. One problem might be your roller you don't say what nap thickness it is, but to do textured the least it should be is 1/2".
Ok, this may have been one of the issues as I think it is a pretty flat roller with not much pile...

We will try again tonight, thanks for all your help!

The Following User Says Thank You to RhiManchester For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (11-21-2013)