Patching Plaster Walls For Paint - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Patching plaster walls for paint

I'm repainting our living room and have slight problem. I've filled in all the holes and am sanding them, but it is making the plaster and the painters putty smooth. I've noticed other areas that were patched, sanded, and painted look 'off' because in those areas the texture of those spots is smooth compared to the roughness around it. It really sticks out like a sore thumb. Some areas are quarter sized (gotta love taking out anchors).

Is there a product on the market that I can use to re-texture these areas?

TIA!

Advertisement

kimberland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

There are a plethora of texturing repair products out there ranging from river washed sand to polystyrene pellets for popcorn ceiling repair. There is no easy way to counsel you on this without seeing the walls. Ask for them at a real paint store. You will just catch a deer in headlights approaching a minimum wage apron person at a box store.

I think I know the situation you have given the vintage of home you describe though. I have fairly good luck blending and texturing wall repairs like you have with sand and either plaster or plaster repair dry mix or hot mud dry mix drywall compound. Sometimes, you can make it work mixing the sand in a bonding primer too.

I wish I could give you a formula for how much to use. But you really just have to play around. I find building the texture up in layers with a sacrificial brush used with sort of a stipple technique works best for me. You can also buy a large wallpaper paste brush but I find them too big for the repairs you describe.

I will mention it in case your damage is widespread. There are resin and fiber resurfacing products if you have more patches than wall. I know the Nu-Wal system best. The YouTube video will give you an ideas of what it is about and Abatron sells it. The video lies though. It is not so easy a product to work with they suggest and especially if your first time working with a fiber and resin situation. I was able to do it on my own a time or two but it sure would have been easier with a helper.

Don't get me wrong, NuWal application does not require an astrophysics degree or anything. The process and product are straightforward.

Please do post back with what you found works for you? Those of us who worked on or still do work on antique plaster walls are always open to hearing about situations like you face.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 08-16-2013 at 11:13 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
kimberland30 (08-19-2013)
Old 08-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,652

As Joe would say "a pic would be helpful" The reason is what you are calling texture may just be stipple from a paint roller, or it might be a heavy texture.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
chrisn (08-17-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Thanks Sdsester! I ended up using drywall (joint?) compound. I applied it to the area, spread it around with my fingers and used a paper towel to texturize it. Waited for it to dry overnight and painted it the next day. It might not be the proper way to do it but it worked as far as I could tell.

ToolSeeker...I should have posted pics but I thought it might be a 'common' problem with plaster walls. The texture isn't from a paint roller though. I love plaster walls in that they are very forgiving...but have them because anytime I pull out a nail, a nice divet of plaster comes out with it.
kimberland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kimberland30 For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (08-19-2013)