Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #1

Share |

Patching Holes in Walls

Whats the best product for patching holes in walls prior to painting??

I know regular old "spackle" will work for little nail holes but if I have larger divots and gouges in the walls - couldn't I just use dry wall coumpound - like what you would use for taping sheet rock??

Thanks!
Dan

dschribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #2

Patching Holes in Walls

Depends on what you mean by "holes".
Some may need tape, to big and the rock may need to be cut out and patched.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #3

Patching Holes in Walls

Nothing too big that will need actual drywall patching. I think the prior owner removed wallpaper and there are just tons of gouges and divots in the wall that they just painted over. Looks like most of the damage was done with something like a metal putty knife.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #4

Patching Holes in Walls

The newer spackle is a lot better than the old lightweight stuff for filling small-medium holes.
Dap makes some, I think its called crack shot?
3M has some new stuff out too.
Its a lot denser than regular spackle, sands easily and won't flash through paint as bad.

But yea, you can just use Sheetrock mud.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

Patching Holes in Walls

If there is any residue wallpaper paste on the walls- it would be a VERY good idea to put a coat of Gardz over it before patching. It will seal down that paste which has a nasty habit of making problems later.
Then a premixed mud like Plus 3 would be fine for patching. Use as wide a blade as you can, sand with a light. Might take 2 apps for deeper stuff.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
Painting Contractor CT

Patching Holes in Walls

Use drywall compound and make sure you prime the patched spots before you apply paint.
Good Luck!
KD PAINTING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #7

Patching Holes in Walls

Thanks for the info guys. Project went great...other than some pin holes in the mud but I posted that on another thread. . I used that Crack Shot stuff. Love it.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
Rockerga

Patching Holes in Walls

I hate when the patching compound bleeds though the first coat of paint!!!! I just re-painted an old room the same color and the spackling bled right through. (We are redecorating and moving/replacing hanging accessories)

Is there a spackling that works without this pain? I did the same in my garage with very high quality one coat coverage paint and it did the same thing! I applied a second coat and it vanished "for the most part!"

I am obviously not a professional painter and I actually HATE TO PAINT so I surely do not LIKE having to apply two coats!
Rockerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #9

Patching Holes in Walls

Dap Crack Shot works great for me. It claims on the can not to flash paint, when I put it to the test on new wall board painted with a satin finish, it did not show through one coat of interior satin paint at all.

In the first pic you can see where I patched some gouges in the wall. The second pic is after I sanded the patches and applied one coat of satin paint & primer.
The lighting on this wall is excellent due to a window at the end of it, and I could see no trace of the patches.
Attached Thumbnails
Patching Holes in Walls-image-3492475863.jpg   Patching Holes in Walls-image-512262169.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (08-09-2013), Rockerga (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
Rockerga

Patching Holes in Walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
Dap Crack Shot works great for me. It claims on the can not to flash paint, when I put it to the test on new wall board painted with a satin finish, it did not show through one coat of interior satin paint at all.

In the first pic you can see where I patched some gouges in the wall. The second pic is after I sanded the patches and applied one coat of satin paint & primer.
The lighting on this wall is excellent due to a window at the end of it, and I could see no trace of the patches.

THANKS!!!! I am sold, will go to ACE today and get that. The other stuff is IN THE TRASH!!!
Rockerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #11
ltd

Patching Holes in Walls

Why take a chance? For spackle give it a quick spot prime with your finish paint .Then take off switch plates have a drink of pop, now spot prime is dry , roll away .
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
Rockerga (08-12-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #12

Patching Holes in Walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Why take a chance? For spackle give it a quick spot prime with your finish paint .Then take off switch plates have a drink of pop, now spot prime is dry , roll away .
That's probably good advice for flat paints.

Anything with the slightest sheen though, I find that spotting with finish paint shows too often.
Even with matte, it can show a sheen differential on the spots that have an extra coat. Sometimes it doesn't really come out till the paint cures all the way.

If spot priming is necessary, I like primer better.

The no-flash spackle is a pretty cool trick, but really not that drastic of an idea. All they had to do was make the dried spackle similar in porosity to paint. Or, to be self sealing in a sense.

Spackle and other patching compounds tend to flash because they are more porous than the paint film they are put on. Eliminate the porosity somehow... Problem solved.

Idk, that's my guess. I wonder if Rick knows spackle too?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Rockerga (08-12-2013), ToolSeeker (08-10-2013)