DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

partial second coat - did I mess up?

21K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  chrisn 
#1 ·
Ok we just bought a house, and started the painting process, I think (am afraid) I messed up real bad.

The first room we started to paint was originally a light yellow. My stepdaughter picked out a violet/ light purple color. We are using Olympic paint (from Lowes). On Sunday we cleaned the walls, did some light sanding, then wiped down again. Then we put on 1 coat of the tinted primer we got with the paint. On Monday we did 1 coat of the paint. The room is 9x12 with 8ft ceilings, so its about 320 sq ft. We used around 2/3 of the gallon. I'm not sure if we used too little for even coverage.

On Tuesday at lunchtime I went to check on the paint job, it looked decent, but there were a bunch of spots where the paint didn't cover the primer and it looks like roller marks to me.

I decided to try my hand at touching up the paint after work on Tuesday, and anywhere I found spots, I painted that area, I also did a lot of the edge work again to cover up brush marks. As I went on I kept finding more and more spots to touch up, and by the end I realized I should have just done a full second coat.

Today I went to check on it at lunch, and its very VERY noticeable which areas I touched up. The areas with primer + 1 coat are noticeable lighter than the spots with the extra touch up coat.

If I get another gallon to use for another coat, will that cover the walls evenly? or will the wall forever be 2 different tones?

See less See more
#3 ·
interior wall painting

I agree. In general you do need two coats of your top coat and the second coat will cover up anything missed on the first coat, its not uncommon to apply a first coat and have it look like you are describing. Usually its hard to touch up just certain parts of the wall, usually you have to apply another full coat of paint on the wall from one corner to the other, sometimes you can touch up depending on the sheen of paint by feathering your touch up in.
-youll be fine after applying another coat, just keep a wet edge, cut one wall in then roll it before the cut dries.

#4 ·
Get a good quality paint ( im partial to Benjamin Moore :) ) You dont need to prime with any of these unless theres smoke, water, or major repairs done. Just about all the colors WILL cover in 2 coats with no primer. Try the BEN line of paint, its low odor, low VOC, and uses 100% acrylic colorants so it cleans great, and covers awesome. If you want to go a little less expensive, try the Super Spec line. It's less expensive than the BEN, still covers great, but VOC is higher, and washability will be less.

** I dont know what you paid for the Olympic, at my store both of those products are priced less ***

#5 ·
Just as a follow up, I wanted to let everyone know a second coat of paint did the job nicely. The room is 9x12 with 8 ft ceilings so its 336 sq ft, minus about 36 for door, window and closet. I used 1 full gallon for the full second coat and it covered up well, no roller marks or discolored spots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.