Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #1

Share |

Paper or Paint Over Liner

The paneling was covered with a horizontal liner and then papered in the usual manor. The paper hanger was a pro and did all the prep work. It has held fast on the walls for many years.

Now, I would like to paint over the liner. The paper seems to pull off okay but the old paste stays on the liner leaving a rough surface. Can this be removed without damaging the liner. What should I do?

Cruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Remove the liner

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:52 AM   #3

The liner paper was put on the paneling to give it a smooth surface, hiding the groves in the paneling, for the hanging of the wallpaper. I would oil base primer the whole thing, wallpaper and liner paper intact. You mentioned that everything was holding tight to the wall. The area that you pulled the wallpaper off of and the glue still showing (I sure hope you have not pulled ALL the wallpaper off yet) will need to be sanded down to smooth out the glue bumps. If you try to remove the adhesive with water you will more than likely damage the liner paper in which you will see the grooves in the paneling. Once the oil primer has dried you may need some joint compound applied and sanded over the seams of the wallpaper and the edge of the area where you pull the wallpaper face off. Caulk the top to the ceiling, the bottom to the base board. Dust down the walls after sanding the joint compound, prime again, you could use a latex primer now. The original oil primer has now given a moisture barrier to keep water from the surface. Then you are ready for a finish coat.
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:09 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1951mm View Post
The liner paper was put on the paneling to give it a smooth surface, hiding the groves in the paneling, for the hanging of the wallpaper. I would oil base primer the whole thing, wallpaper and liner paper intact. You mentioned that everything was holding tight to the wall. The area that you pulled the wallpaper off of and the glue still showing (I sure hope you have not pulled ALL the wallpaper off yet) will need to be sanded down to smooth out the glue bumps. If you try to remove the adhesive with water you will more than likely damage the liner paper in which you will see the grooves in the paneling. Once the oil primer has dried you may need some joint compound applied and sanded over the seams of the wallpaper and the edge of the area where you pull the wallpaper face off. Caulk the top to the ceiling, the bottom to the base board. Dust down the walls after sanding the joint compound, prime again, you could use a latex primer now. The original oil primer has now given a moisture barrier to keep water from the surface. Then you are ready for a finish coat.
I still do not know what the OP wants to do, but that sure is a lot of work, it most likely would be easier to just remove the liner and go from there.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I still do not know what the OP wants to do, but that sure is a lot of work, it most likely would be easier to just remove the liner and go from there.
If the OP wants a smooth painted wall over paneling the liner is the best choice to acheive that. Liner paper is stiffer than regular wallpaper and will bridge the grooves of the paneling. IMHO it is much less work to hang the liner paper than and more reliable than filling the grooves with mud. I have done this in many a home to hide the grooves with very good results.

I know there are other threads that talk about painting over paneling. The OP (original poster) (just added that since at first I did not know the short hand lingo) could do a search on that topic and get further input.

Yes ADHESIVE not glue, thanks Chris!!!!!!!!!!!!!
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote