Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #1

Share |

Painting "yellowed" fiberboard accoustical drop ceiling tiles

Hey guys,

I have a large number of these accoustical fiberboard drop ceiling tiles in my basement:

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/buildin...nel-64531.html

Over the years, they have yellowed quite a bit, and rather than replace (which the same style is hard to find, I did find some replacements but the difference in color is too much since the old ones have yellowed). So I plan to paint the ones I have. I understand that painting them will cause them to lose some of their accoustical deadening properties, but I am not concerned with that.

I plan to remove them from the ceiling grid, and I would like to spray them. Rolling them would be near impossible since they have frayed edges from being cut, and the loose pieces would make it a nightmare.

Should I prime with a water based stain blocking primer first, like Zinnser Bulls-Eye, and then spray with a latex based paint? I am assuming I would use a flat ceiling paint or possibly an eggshell paint.

Which would be a decent paint sprayer to use for this? Looking to spend no more than $200 on one. Will eventually use the sprayer for doors and trim.

tunabreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
Disabled wood vet

I don't think they will receive paint very well.

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
I don't think they will receive paint very well.

From Armstrong (yes I know I have USG):

Code:
Can Armstrong ceilings be painted?
Fiberglass panels should not be painted. All other Armstrong mineral fiber ceiling tiles, panels, planks, and even grid can be painted any color or to mimic any metal - bronze, tin, gold, or copper. Latex or water-based paints are recommended
Old 02-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunabreath View Post
Hey guys,

I have a large number of these accoustical fiberboard drop ceiling tiles in my basement:
Baloney, you can't paint accoustical ceiling tile! YOU MOST CERTAINLY CAN. I've painted thousands of these tiles and in different colors with no issues at all. It will not decrease the sound deadening either....unless you are painting them semi-gloss or gloss, then it might.
The product I LOVE to use for painting these is Sherwin Williams (Master Hide Flat). It's perfect. There is no need for priming unless you have stains on the tiles. Spray painting the tiles would be fine. Sherwin Williams rents sprayers so check with them on price. Most tool rental companies rent them as well.

Last edited by BraniksPainting; 02-04-2012 at 08:04 AM.
BraniksPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Paint obviously creates a sound reflective rather than absorbing surface to acoustic tile. All that said and you deciding whether you should or not? Wish I had an extra nickle for every one I have painted through the years.

I have usually painted them in place with a sprayer or more often with a fat roller cover (3/4-1" nap). My bubbas in white may scream again at this use of thick nap roller cover. The tiles suck paint though and I found I need what fatter covers would hold to cover well.

Usually I was painting not only because they had discolored but because clients wanted something other than white ceilings. Black bar/grill and gallery ceilings come to mind. Painting in place with a roller will try your patience but it can work. You mentioned frayed edges though so spraying might be your best bet.

Rather than buy a cheap Chinese plastic parts sprayer for under $200 and be dissapointed? And have but another garage ornament you will seldom if ever use again? I would rent a nice pro piece of airless and buy your own spray tips if you want to be safe.

Last edited by user1007; 02-04-2012 at 08:13 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
jschaben

Quote:
Hey guys,

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/buildin...nel-64531.html

Over the years, they have yellowed quite a bit, and rather than replace (which the same style is hard to find, I did find some replacements but the difference in color is too much since the old ones have yellowed). So I plan to paint the ones I have. I understand that painting them will cause them to lose some of their accoustical deadening properties, but I am not concerned with that.

I plan to remove them from the ceiling grid, and I would like to spray them. Rolling them would be near impossible since they have frayed edges from being cut, and the loose pieces would make it a nightmare.

Should I prime with a water based stain blocking primer first, like Zinnser Bulls-Eye, and then spray with a latex based paint? I am assuming I would use a flat ceiling paint or possibly an eggshell paint.

Which would be a decent paint sprayer to use for this? Looking to spend no more than $200 on one. Will eventually use the sprayer for doors and trim.
Hi - I think you're on the right track. I would, however, recommend a good, real, HVLP sprayer. Not a conversion gun as sold in Home Depot/ Harbor Freight/.... etc. Much easier to clean than airless sprayers and likely better suited for the door and trim work you have in mind.
Here is one similar to the one I have, somewhat over your $200 but but some shopping should get you one in your range.
http://www.amazon.com/Earlex-HV5500-...8366029&sr=8-1

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Paint obviously creates a sound reflective rather than absorbing surface to acoustic tile. All that said and you deciding whether you should or not? Wish I had an extra nickle for every one I have painted through the years.

I have usually painted them in place with a sprayer or more often with a fat roller cover (3/4-1" nap). My bubbas in white may scream again at this use of thick nap roller cover. The tiles suck paint though and I found I need what fatter covers would hold to cover well.

Usually I was painting not only because they had discolored but because clients wanted something other than white ceilings. Black bar/grill and gallery ceilings come to mind. Painting in place with a roller will try your patience but it can work. You mentioned frayed edges though so spraying might be your best bet.

Rather than buy a cheap Chinese plastic parts sprayer for under $200 and be dissapointed? And have but another garage ornament you will seldom if ever use again? I would rent a nice pro piece of airless and buy your own spray tips if you want to be safe.
My issue with spraying them or rolling them in place is the fact of when you have to remove them, you run the risk of damaging them since they tend to stick to the grid.

I would like to get my own sprayer so I am not on a time constraint and plan to use it for doors.

So no need to prime, even if they have yellowed? I don't want anything to bleed through. I want this to be a one time deal.

I will end up painting the whole finished basement anyways, so maybe spraying them while in place isnt a bad idea since I wont have to tape anything off, but then I would run the risk of paint runs/drips, but I don't imagine that happening since the fiber board would soak up the paint.

I know people have said stay clear of the harbor freight ones, but this one seems to have decent reviews (all be it only 4), but it looks like a itdecently made piece and judging by the instruction manual, it looks to have customer support.

http://www.harborfreight.com/58-hors...kit-68001.html

If anyone else can offer any budget sprayers, it would be much appreciated.

I will call sherwin williams and see what their rental fee is.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
jschaben

Quote:
My issue with spraying them or rolling them in place is the fact of when you have to remove them, you run the risk of damaging them since they tend to stick to the grid.

I would like to get my own sprayer so I am not on a time constraint and plan to use it for doors.

So no need to prime, even if they have yellowed? I don't want anything to bleed through. I want this to be a one time deal.

I will end up painting the whole finished basement anyways, so maybe spraying them while in place isnt a bad idea since I wont have to tape anything off, but then I would run the risk of paint runs/drips, but I don't imagine that happening since the fiber board would soak up the paint.

I know people have said stay clear of the harbor freight ones, but this one seems to have decent reviews (all be it only 4), but it looks like a itdecently made piece and judging by the instruction manual, it looks to have customer support.

http://www.harborfreight.com/58-hors...kit-68001.html

If anyone else can offer any budget sprayers, it would be much appreciated.

I will call sherwin williams and see what their rental fee is.

The sprayer you linked to would likely work OK, especially spraying the tiles in place as a cup fed gun would likely be problematic spraying over head.
I still think that, overall, a HVLP system would work better. Here is one within your budget:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10469

That is, however, a cup gun which would give you a problem with overhead.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #9

Personally, I would not apply latex right over those, but put an oil stain sealer between them and the latex. To seal them and who knows what the yellowing is from. Putting a water based product on fiberboard makes me nervous.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote