Painting Wood Floors & Need Some Advice - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2009, 10:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting wood floors & need some advice

Hi all, I'm new here. Long story short, I am stuck with a 100-year-old pine subfloor and no money for new hardwood flooring. Refinishing the subfloor is not an option due to its condition.

I want a temporary solution that will last 5 years and look decent. My plan is to sand, clean, and patch approximately 400 square feet of subfloor, paint it white, and install quarter rounds for a finished look. This is on the 3rd floor of my home, which consists of a bedroom, living room area, and a hallway. It does not need to look perfect but does need to stand up to two humans and two large dogs, with help from area rugs.

The problem is that there is SO much conflicting information out there concerning how to prep the floor, what type of paint to use, and whether or not a urethane finish is necessary. I have no idea where to begin! Here is what I would like to know:

- The subfloor has been finished/varnished in the past and has lots of stains and white paint spills on it. My plan is to use an electric hand sander to take this stuff off. I really want to avoid hauling a drum sander up 3 flights of narrow stairs. Am I crazy?

- What kind of primer? If oil-based is preferred, do I then need to use an oil-based paint on top of it?

- Should I use oil or latex floor paint?

- Are a few coats of urethane necessary? If so, is it safer/better to apply it over oil or latex paint?

I really appreciate any information you experts can provide. This is all new to me!

Advertisement

phillyskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,070

I would check and see if you can still get oil based deck enamel in your state. That will out-perform anything short of solvent-based epoxy and priming is not necessary. If not, then check for Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo. That is still allowed in a lot of states as it is a direct-to-metal paint. I would highly suggest you not paint a floor white no matter what paint you use. It will show dirt like it is going out of style.

Advertisement

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
Haste Makes Waste

Rewards Points: 250

And that dirt will get ground in with each additional step. Usually painted floors are dark colors.
saggdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the replies. Would adding a couple layers of urethane prevent the dirt from getting ground in?
phillyskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,070

Maybe, but you really want to re-think a white floor.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
The DIYer Assistant

Rewards Points: 25

Hey philly, if you go with an oil-based paint, or an epoxy, your best bet would be an oil based urethane, otherwise use a water-based polycrylic. In either case, think about getting one made for floor finishing as it will dry faster and doesn't require sanding between coats. Good luck!
TheDIYerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:37 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

I must admit that when I first heard of this, I thought it was a crazy idea. I've now seen several posts online that show some really cool floors that are painted. There's really a lot you can do from a design perspective, but I also would look for a darker color.

Here's a good detailed look at it:

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/architect...d-floors.shtml
Allison1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 538

For the painting of interior wood floors I would suggest using Sherwin Williams heavy duty porch and floor enamel, there is no priming. First lightly sand the floors then vacuum and wipe up dust.

Advertisement

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote