Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2007, 12:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Unhappy

Painting Woes, Red & Blue, Can this job be saved?

Hey everyone, first time poster!

I've just moved into my first Apartment in Atlanta, GA immediately began working on painting my Living Room Cherry Cobbler Red, my Bedroom Mocha Brown, and my Bathroom Navy Blue. Obviously, things didn't go so well.

The bedroom came out great. Obviously, the lighter more opaque color helped. However, the bathroom looks horrible with roller marks, streaks, unbalanced coverage, etc. The living room isn't doing too much better

As soon as I saw the terrible results of the job I got online to do some research where I found the Sticky over on forum.doityourself.com explaining, basically, everything I did wrong e.g. Cheap Brushes, white primer, not using a wet edge. On top of that, I've only just started using quality (purdy) roller covers and the jury is out on my paint selection which was Behr Premium Interior.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to salvage this project or would it do me best to get new primer, etc. and just start over?

I greatly appreciate any and all feedback as I'm incredibly disappointed with my work

If pictures of the walls would help, let me know and I'll post!

Thanks,

Kyle

kdread20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:21 PM   #2

I don't think you will need to re-prime. Any paint store can color-match the Behr color you have chosen, and with quality tools and technique, you should be done in no time.

SirWired

sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:56 PM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Yes, the reds and blues are the toughest
With the choices of tools and paint product, along with the bad technique, you were pretty much doomed...sorry
Any one of those might have created problems, all three...yikes!

The good news is a trip to a real paint store and a few purchases will help you fix it

Either a Ben Moore dealer and Regal or Aura line
Or a Sherwin Williams dealer and Deep Colors (sometimes called Deep Accents) line
They will (should) have the Behr mix in the computer, if not, maybe bring the/some samples/swatches/cans down just in case

Purdy White Doves, or even better 50/50 wool/poly sleeves
A quality Purdy, Wooster, or Corona 2 1/2" sash (angle) brush

Maintain that wet edge, don't squoosh all the paint out of the rollers, lay it down and "apply" it
'Cut In' (brush corners and around windows/doors), then 'Roll' one wall at a time

Deep reds and blues can need 3 coats even with premium paints, but I suspect two will be fine if you consider the paint on there now like a 'tinted primer' of sorts...perhaps one good quality coat might do it depending on exactly how well it's covered so far
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:19 AM   #4
Pro Painter

I've done really well with s/w color accents paint. Definately not priced like behr, but worth it at times like this.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:54 AM   #5

sorry for bumping an old post, but, would you happen to have a link to that sticky on forum.doityourself.com ? I checked the paint forum stickies and I don't think those were the ones. I've been searching for a good dos and donts of painting article but haven't found a very complete one yet.
electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:42 PM   #6
Tired, Cold, and Damp

I'll quote it (unless Bob asks me to remove it)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
Red is perhaps the hardest color for a DIYer to use and get satisfactory results. The reason is that there is so much pigment involved. It is hard to get that much pigment evenly distributed. Here are some tips to increase your chances of success.

Start with quality paints from a paint store. I won't name brands here. It is a topic that generates much heated discussion. The better paints do help get an even distribution of the pigments.

Use quality tools. A $2 brush will give you a $2 job. Better quality brushes and roller sleeves hold more paint and allows better flow of the paint to whatever you are painting.

Use a good primer, regardless of the condition of the existing coating. Have the primer tinted a medium gray. Over the years, several posters have commented on success with the primer tinted a lighter shade of the final color. Recently, black has been touted as a good undercoat.

Do not skimp on the paint. Do not over-brush nor over-roll the paint. When cutting in, brush the paint on in one stroke. Back brush at most one time, and then only if really needed. Do not keep brushing what you have just painted.
A roller sleeve of paint is only good for one vertical strip, floor to ceiling. Paint the strip right next to what was just painted, then one light pass to blend the new strip with the previous strip. No more. Avoid the W pattern.

Keep a wet edge. For most DIYers, this means having help. One will cut in and the other rolls right behind them. If working by yourself, work in small sections of the wall, alternating between cutting in and rolling.
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:55 PM   #7

I was curious as to what sheen you were putting on?

As everyone already said reds, blues, dark chocolate browns all will give you trouble. Add that with cheap equipment and poor technique will give unsatisfactory finish.

Go to a paint store for your paint. Buy yourself a good brush for a diyer i would recommend either a 3" or a 2-1/2 purdy xl glide. Purchase a good roller frame like a 9" wooster surelock with a quality roller cover i would recommend a lambs wool cover with a 1/2" nap. Throw in a proper sized extension pole, and a bucket and grid or a roller pan.

One of the biggest mistakes is squeezing the roller. If you are running out of paint just dip and roll some more, lay it on even. With the colors that you selected i would cut in and roll one wall at a time.

Getting good results at painting takes practice, i have been painting for a living for 9 years now and i still can learn some things.