Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2011, 11:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Painting windows

Hi,
I'm now to this forum and I'm hoping you can help me. We have just purchased a new house that has dark wood windows and dark trim everywhere (it's the window type where the lower half goes up and down). I can repaint the trim, no problem, but I'm concerned about the windows. I have never painted the windows and it seems like it's a lot of work and with trying to get them open and close may scratch the paint (I'm guessing).
Has anyone done it before and has any advice for me. We do want white trim everywhere and white trim and dark windows don't match.
Any advice?
TX
Attached Thumbnails
Painting windows-img_0716.jpg  

robercik72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:03 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Painting windows

You cannot paint before you fix the windows shown.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:57 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,140

Painting windows

Sand, remove dust, prime with a quality bonding primer, topcoat with 2 coats of the paint of your choice. I prefer SW's SuperPaint Semi. Good luck, be patient.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
robercik72 (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,054

Painting windows

Not sure how you would scratch the paint, the tracks do not get painted and there should be enough gap between the sashes so they do not touch as they pass one another.

Last edited by joecaption; 12-11-2011 at 08:04 AM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
robercik72 (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Painting windows

That is a job for a pro.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Painting windows

Rob, what exactly is it that you are asking? Has your question been answered by Gymschu, or do you need a step by step guide to painting them?
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
robercik72 (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Painting windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Rob, what exactly is it that you are asking? Has your question been answered by Gymschu, or do you need a step by step guide to painting them?
Hi,
Yes he did answer my question. I have never painted windows from inside and was not sure if it can or should be done in the first place. I was afraid that the movable parts would scratch each other since paint would add extra layers and make them thicker. Just like with the doors sometimes, after painting the door and trim, when you want to close it, the frame scratches the door and the other way around.
I will get some quotes on the window painting, but my budget is very low, so if it comes expensive (more than $50 per window) I may have to be forced to do it myself. Not that I don't think the pros are too expensive, it's simply my lack of money :-(
Any recommendations regarding the primer and paint or the whole process?
Should I use Lowe's or more specialized store like Sherwin-Williams to search for paint there?
Any help is much appreciated
Thank you all
robercik72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

Painting windows

Rob, you'll probably be doing those windows yourself. Bear in mind that what you have pictured is two windows, not one. Seems obvious, but trust me I have reason to say that. One six over six double hung window bills at one hour per coat, 20/20/20, sash/sash/frame. (that's in my market, but should be universal, unless you're Ole). Some guys will bury the prep cost in that one hour per coat, I don't. If I priced that picture it would be (1 hour)(2 windows)(3 coats) equals six hours, plus whatever prep time I deemed required, all times my hourly rate. The rate is irrelevant due to geographical variations. But, $100.00 divided by six hours, minimum, is a stretch, I believe, in any market, at least for a reputable contractor using reputable products giving you a quality, lasting job. You don't want a lousy job on windows. If you decide to do it yourself, that's why we're here, and we can give you pointers to do the job properly material wise and process wise as well. Something to think about.
Joe
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,096

Painting windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by robercik72 View Post
Hi,
Yes he did answer my question. I have never painted windows from inside and was not sure if it can or should be done in the first place. I was afraid that the movable parts would scratch each other since paint would add extra layers and make them thicker. Just like with the doors sometimes, after painting the door and trim, when you want to close it, the frame scratches the door and the other way around.
I will get some quotes on the window painting, but my budget is very low, so if it comes expensive (more than $50 per window) I may have to be forced to do it myself. Not that I don't think the pros are too expensive, it's simply my lack of money :-(
Any recommendations regarding the primer and paint or the whole process?
Should I use Lowe's or more specialized store like Sherwin-Williams to search for paint there?
Any help is much appreciated
Thank you all
Joe already explained the $50,if you are gonna do it, PLEASE do not go to Blowes

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote