Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #1

Share |

Painting wicker furniture?

I have three pieces of wicker bedroom furniture that I am looking to paint - a headboard, floor chest and dresser. What is the best way to go about this? Currently, they have a glossy white finish and I am looking to put a dark brown finish on them. Can I do this without purchasing a sprayer? Thoughts?

asbury park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Spray paint. Otherwise pay either a painter to spray it with a sprayer or just get a Wagner Power painter and do it yourself.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
Learning Things Every Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Spray paint.
+1

One of the uses for Krylon Fusion (the best spray paint you can get, IMO) is wicker.

There are a few different brown colors available. http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/
Old 04-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #4

Will I need to sand and prime the wicker first?
Old 04-12-2012, 05:44 AM   #5

[quote=Paintedfurnitur;897206]Wicker furniture has been around for thousands of years. Archeological findings even show that the pharaohs of ancient Egypt used wicker furniture. Today, it is one of the most popular, widely collected, and highly sought-after types of furniture. Wicker refers to plant-derived fibers that have been treated, in order to make them hard and strong enough for making furniture.

Nice spam and informative about the history of wicker, but didn't answer the question.
Asbury, you can run some sand paper over the surface. When I've painted it before you can chip the paint down to bare wood if you're too aggressive. Areas that are likely to get a lot of contact, like a top, table legs, arm rests, etc. might benefit from a shot of Zinsser Cover Stain bonding primer spray. Fusion is formulated for plastic, so it has good bonding qualities. I've worked with it many times, nice product. Your project might be a bit ambitious for rattle cans, that's a lot of area to cover, especially going from white to brown. You might consider purchasing a low cost sprayer or as Sdsester would say, inquire at a local shop that does spraying, like a body shop, or hire it to a painter. Good Luck, keep us posted.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #6

[quote=jsheridan;897232]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintedfurnitur View Post
Wicker furniture has been around for thousands of years. Archeological findings even show that the pharaohs of ancient Egypt used wicker furniture. Today, it is one of the most popular, widely collected, and highly sought-after types of furniture. Wicker refers to plant-derived fibers that have been treated, in order to make them hard and strong enough for making furniture.

Nice spam and informative about the history of wicker, but didn't answer the question.
Asbury, you can run some sand paper over the surface. When I've painted it before you can chip the paint down to bare wood if you're too aggressive. Areas that are likely to get a lot of contact, like a top, table legs, arm rests, etc. might benefit from a shot of Zinsser Cover Stain bonding primer spray. Fusion is formulated for plastic, so it has good bonding qualities. I've worked with it many times, nice product. Your project might be a bit ambitious for rattle cans, that's a lot of area to cover, especially going from white to brown. You might consider purchasing a low cost sprayer or as Sdsester would say, inquire at a local shop that does spraying, like a body shop, or hire it to a painter. Good Luck, keep us posted.
Good news. A buddy is letting me borrow his sprayer. Should make the job much easier.