Painting White Floors - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-02-2013, 03:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Painting white floors

Hello,

Newbie here, first post.

I want to paint my ugly cheap wood tiles parquet flooring white. I've been to a few places and they all tell me different ways to do it and I am completely lost right now.

What I want is simple. I want it white. Semi-glossy to glossy white. Benjamin Moore told me they have nothing for wood floors that is glossy (or semi-glossy). Same thing at Sherman Williams. They both have It satin but I want something that shine more than satin, hence glossy or semi-gloss. That's the look I am going for.

Oil based paint could work on the glossy side but since the floors will be white and I get plenty of sun inside, I don't want it to turn yellow with time.

What I've been told so far:

1- Oil based exterior primer coat.

2- 2 coats of exterior acrylic floor enamel

Does that make sense?

Anyone here have successfully paint wood floors (semi)glossy white?

Care to tell me what products (brand) you use and how to do it properly?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Advertisement

newme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:48 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

Painting white floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by newme View Post
Hello,

Newbie here, first post.

I want to paint my ugly cheap wood tiles parquet flooring white. I've been to a few places and they all tell me different ways to do it and I am completely lost right now.

What I want is simple. I want it white. Semi-glossy to glossy white. Benjamin Moore told me they have nothing for wood floors that is glossy (or semi-glossy). Same thing at Sherman Williams. They both have It satin but I want something that shine more than satin, hence glossy or semi-gloss. That's the look I am going for.

Oil based paint could work on the glossy side but since the floors will be white and I get plenty of sun inside, I don't want it to turn yellow with time.

What I've been told so far:

1- Oil based exterior primer coat.

2- 2 coats of exterior acrylic floor enamel

Does that make sense?

Anyone here have successfully paint wood floors (semi)glossy white?

Care to tell me what products (brand) you use and how to do it properly?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Is the floor outside?

Advertisement

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 672

Painting white floors

I can think of a whole bunch of reasons this idea is not going to work out in your favor.
Gloss = Slippery.
White will show up every speck of dirt.
The time and money involved to remove all the old sealer so the primer would have a chance to bond to something.
Even old stained and sealed trim has a hard time to keep from peeling and chipping, now factor in someone walking on it and this will be an on going mantaince issue from day one.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,294

Painting white floors

how to paint over old parquet floors

Give this recent thread a "look-see" before proceeding.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 788

Painting white floors

I just got done painting a floor in our house. I used Ace royal acrylic enamal satin porch & floor paint. Gave it 3 coats. After a week of curing I gave it 3 coats of Ace urathane fortified acrylic floor finish. Very shiny but not slippery.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

Painting white floors

The only thing worse than a white floor for maintenance would be a black one. They will show every single bit of dirt in the universe 5 minutes after cleaning them and the gloss will become matte in the traffic areas, showing the pathways.
Live_Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Live_Oak For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (10-02-2013), joecaption (10-02-2013), ToolSeeker (10-02-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Painting white floors

Thanks to all the replies.

I guess I wasn't perhaps clear enough in my first message.

I am not asking whether I should do It or not, because I am doing it. I was/am asking how to do it properly. To someone who did it successfully already.

It doesn't have to be super shiny, but satin will not be enough for what I want. Semi-glossy would be perfect.

It is for an inside flooring.

And It isn't a beautiful french antique parquet here. It is the ugly cheap 12X12 tiles-we-put-that-instead-of-nice-and-real-woodfloors-cuz-its-cheaper type...

Thanks
newme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,294

Painting white floors

Well, if you're bent on doing it.......I would sand it well, vacuum dust, and then wet mop the floors to get all the dust. Personally, I would prime with a bonding primer such as Zinsser's Cover Stain, something that has some bite to it and sticks to anything. After it dries, again, sand lightly and remove dust. Then you have some choices.....you could apply a white satin porch and floor enamel. Allow that to dry thoroughly.....even several days would be great. Then, apply 2 or 3 coats of gloss polyurethane....sanding between coats. That's the process I would choose if trying to achieve the high gloss look you are after. Prep is imperative. Removing dust is even more important. Any dust that gets stuck in the poly will show up big time.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

Painting white floors

Also I certainly would not apply ANY exterior products on it. I cannot imagine someone at Benny Moore told you that.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 254

Painting white floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by newme View Post
Thanks to all the replies.

I guess I wasn't perhaps clear enough in my first message.

I am not asking whether I should do It or not, because I am doing it. I was/am asking how to do it properly. To someone who did it successfully already.

It doesn't have to be super shiny, but satin will not be enough for what I want. Semi-glossy would be perfect.

It is for an inside flooring.

And It isn't a beautiful french antique parquet here. It is the ugly cheap 12X12 tiles-we-put-that-instead-of-nice-and-real-woodfloors-cuz-its-cheaper type...

Thanks
Good for you Newme - stick to your guns and don't let the naysayers bring you down. A white floor can be beautiful - not to mention lighting up the room to give the appearance of additional spaciousness (I think that's a word).

Depending on the condition of the floor, I'm not sure I'd opt to go with a primer (oil or acrylic) as most/many manufacturers recommend their floor enamels not be applied over primer - plus most/many manufacturers don't recommend their primers (oil or acrylic) be used on floors. Instead apply 2 - 3 coats of the finish product over your properly prepped floor.

Next, if you live in an area where you can still buy architectural grade oil based products, I wouldn't necessarily back away from an oil because it may turn yellow - they can...they will...but it is the lack of sunlight is what will cause an oil finish to yellow more noticeably than the other way around.

An acrylic floor paint will work fine (non-yellowing for the most part), and if you can't find it in a higher sheen (semi or high gloss), consider using a DTM product...while not actually recommended for floors, they'll hold up well enough for light foot traffic, and are often times available in a semi or gloss finish. If you live near a PPG dealer, ask about their "Breakthrough" product (space age acrylic coating) - it's super durable, available in different sheens, and IS recommended for floors (including heavy and tow motor traffic). Amazing product.

I wouldn't recommend using a polyurethane over a white floor unless you can find a water-borne acrylic poly RECOMMENDED for floors (not as easy to find as one may think). The reason is this - while pretty clear, alkyd (oil) polys still have a slight amber cast to 'em, and it'll show on a white floor. An app of alkyd poly could make the floor look kinda dingy. Don't confuse these new Water-Borne Alkyd modified Polys as acrylic coatings either...they're not, and even though they are borne in water, they still have an amber tone that'll show on a white surface. Acrylic Poly only if you decide to go that route.

Good luck on your project - it'd be really neat if you could post some before and after pics.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
chrisn (10-03-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,686

Painting white floors

Nice to hear from you Ric. Great post and I guess an old dog can learn new tricks.

Advertisement

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote