Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2012, 02:24 AM   #1

Share |

Painting white enamel gloss over dark gloss

Hi I am renovating a 70s house and trying to paint white gloss (enamel arcylic) over the existing dark grey gloss. I have buffed it with sand paper but the grey is bleeding through and I have used 4 coats of single coat on one door frame already. It was suggested that I could use 1 part PVA to 10 parts water on the frames and skirting to provide a sealant to stop the colour bleeding through, I am not sure if this will work. I would appreciate any advise that will save me time and money.

Dubh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:30 AM   #2

Hi I am renovating a 70s house and am painting white enamel gloss over dark grey and the grey is bleeding through. I have given it a reasonable sand but the I have had to use 4 coats of the single coat gloss to cover the grey. Would a mix of PVA and water painted over the sanded frames and skirting provide a sealant to prevent the bleeding through of the dark colour or is there another better way. I would appreciate any advise that would save me time and money. Thanks

Old 08-31-2012, 03:39 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Stain blocking primer. Pva will not do it
Zinnsers Cover Stain, Bullseye123, etc
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
user1007 (08-31-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 05:33 AM   #4

Thanks Chrisn I'll get it in the morning!
Old 08-31-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Stain blocking primer. Pva will not do it
Zinnsers Cover Stain, Bullseye123, etc
Yup!

Or a specific alkyd primer/enamel underlay since you probably have an oil finish on there if it is high gloss.

You must still prep and scruff up the surface you are painting though so the primer will adhere.

Last edited by user1007; 08-31-2012 at 06:42 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:43 AM   #6
Rubbin walls since'79

The pva Idea is terrible- forget it.
There is a difference between bleeding and coverage. Bleeding is something literally chemically coming through the paint, and coverage is just that- hiding what is beneath.
Primers in general are good for many things, for you adhesion- sticking to the original surface- is important with the first thing to hit it. But they are not great at coverage. So use a good bonding primer like Zinsser 123 for that first coat- but don't expect it to get rid of the black. You will see all your strokes, just put it on even.
A hi quality paint has more hiding power- and I would expect at minimum that it would need the prime and 2 good coats to have a hope of getting it. As a pro I would not be surprised with 3.
user1007 (08-31-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

And as mentioned in other posts by me and others, a white with even a couple drops of black, umber, sienna (old bottle tint names and not current but you get the idea) or whatever will cover better than stark, glaring white white. And frankly, a slightly off white will look better.

I know the Benjamin Moore factory off-whites best and like Atrium White, Super White. They still look like white to the eye. I think they look much better next to wall color.

Last edited by user1007; 08-31-2012 at 07:22 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote