Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2007, 11:12 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Painting With Waterbourne Enamels

I read with interest the information on this forum regarding using ProClassic Waterbourne and how it maintains a "wet edge" for only about 30 seconds. I have attempted to repaint our kitchen cabinet doors with BM K&B acrylic satin finish enamel and had all kinds of problems with it (though probably the problems were more with the painter than the paint).

Say I have a flat surface 15" wide by 30" long. If I paint a straight strip with a 2-1/2" brush, I can manage to keep painting into a wet edge to the end. But when I go back to paint the second strip, that long edge is no longer wet.

If I paint across the panel and then go back to the starting edge, I no longer have a wet edges.

How to handle such a project? I have tried rolling with a 4" roller and a foam pad and ended up with a rough finish; I also tried with a fabric roller with low nap and again ended up with a rough surface. So I'm stymied for now.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Jim
jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:05 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

FLOETROL made by Flood
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:24 AM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

K & B is not a particularly difficult paint to work with, I do suspect it was more of a tools or technique issue
The waterborne enamels I've worked with are a little tricker than K & B

I can't say for the open time of Pro Classic, but most quality waterborne enamels need quality premium tools, good technique, and a quick application to look good

Use a good quality premium brush, do not over-brush, work quickly and smoothly, and try some floetrol in your cut pot if needed

(http://www.flood.com/Flood/CustomerS...oetrol+FAQ.htm)
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:36 PM   #4
Pro Painter

Try rolling it on then brush it out. This should help with getting it on quickly and maintaining a wet edge.

Roll it with 1/2 or 3/8 nap, dip the brush as necessary to maintain consistent mil. thickness.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshift View Post
K & B is not a particularly difficult paint to work with, I do suspect it was more of a tools or technique issue
The waterborne enamels I've worked with are a little tricker than K & B

I can't say for the open time of Pro Classic, but most quality waterborne enamels need quality premium tools, good technique, and a quick application to look good

Use a good quality premium brush, do not over-brush, work quickly and smoothly, and try some floetrol in your cut pot if needed

(http://www.flood.com/Flood/CustomerS...oetrol+FAQ.htm)

I wouldn't disagree that it is my technique that is at fault. I know I take too much time laying the paint and trying to get everything perfect.

Given the scenario I described in my initial post, how should I paint such a panel - paint working fully across the panel and then on to the next row or should I paint a full lengthwise strip and then return to the second strip? And, as I understand from some other posts, dip my brush about halfway, don't wipe it, apply paint in one long continuous strip and then brush lightly back across the strip I just painted?

JimC
jimc is offline   Reply With Quote