Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #1

Share |

painting on wall paper

The house was built ten years ago and they put wall paper directly on the sheetrock and then installed the cabinetry on the papered walls. I want to paint my bathroom and paint over the wall paper...how complicated is this and what do I need to do to prep the walls..

Thanks!!

sandrashand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:07 PM   #2

painting on wall paper

First, you need to get your wall into shape. This means you need to remove all loose wallpaper and use wallpaper paste to paste down any loose edges. This is a very time consuming part of painting over wallpaper, but it’s also necessary that you level out the wall. So wherever you’ve peeled off a chunk of wallpaper you’ll need to apply drywall mud until the “hole” is level with the rest of the wall. Also if you’ve got seam flaws or other dents, this is the perfect time to level them out as well. Once the mud has dried you need to sand these areas smooth and apply another coat of your oil based primer.

The next step requires proper ventilation as you’ll be using oil based primer. Water based paints and primers will actually seep through the wallpaper and loosen paper from the walls. Once the paper is loosened it will begin peeling again, whether there is paint on top of it or not so an oil based product is essential. Apply this primer over the wall with a short nap roller to create the smoothest surface possible.

Some painters recommend you use a very thin line of white or clear caulk along the ceiling line, baseboards, and trim. (Not in the corners) This will keep the ends firmly in place and may hold off any more peeling.

Finally you’re ready for the paint. Since you used a good oil based primer you don’t need an oil based topcoat, but again, for the best results oil based paint is recommended. And a couple coats will probably yield the best results.

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epson For This Useful Post:
Jackofall1 (01-13-2011), sandrashand (01-13-2011)
Old 01-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #3

painting on wall paper

Painting over paper always has some risks...

Epson has great advice there! Yes..a slight preference for an Oil primer, after the required prep.
Lightly wash walls with powdered Dirtex first to remove soap-films, spray-deposits, etc.
Do a LIGHT rinse...let dry a couple days, watching for any seam-lifting.
NOW do the repairs/oil-priming.
GREAT TIP on caulking the bottom/top paper-edges!!

For the actual paint...use at least a Satin-sheen or higher Latex paint...2 full coats.
Let dry a day b4 a load of steam hits them!
Full cure-out can be a month however...

Faron
Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #4

painting on wall paper

I second the latex top coats.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #5

painting on wall paper

when i bought my house, i had rooms that were wallpapered over wallpapered which were painted several times. what a nightmare getting all the crud down, but once i did, it was worth all the work. nice looking walls
jmdebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #6

painting on wall paper

Hi
I would never paint over wall paper the finished results are bad at best. You are better to take off the paper and have the walls fixed and then paint them. If you paint over the wallpaper and do not like it you are in for a lot more work then removing the wall paper.
OneCallJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #7

painting on wall paper

When builders put up wall paper, they often don't even prime the new drywall, let alone size it, and the only removal solution in that situation is to replace the drywall. It is IMPOSSIBLE to remove the wallpaper. Generally, painting the wall paper can give satisfactory results if done properly. At least that has been my experience.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:09 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

painting on wall paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows View Post
When builders put up wall paper, they often don't even prime the new drywall, let alone size it, and the only removal solution in that situation is to replace the drywall. It is IMPOSSIBLE to remove the wallpaper. Generally, painting the wall paper can give satisfactory results if done properly. At least that has been my experience.
Builders do not install the paper , wall paper installers do, and if they installed it without priming first then they certainly were not professional installers and should be crucified. In MOST cases the paper should and can be removed. In the very few where it is impossible, Windows is correct, it can be done and look OK if done properly.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:04 AM   #9

painting on wall paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Builders do not install the paper , wall paper installers do, and if they installed it without priming first then they certainly were not professional installers and should be crucified. In MOST cases the paper should and can be removed. In the very few where it is impossible, Windows is correct, it can be done and look OK if done properly.
Crucify?
Old 01-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

painting on wall paper

Strung up by their thumbs
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:15 AM   #11

painting on wall paper

I have not ever had to replace drywall after removing wallpaper from not primed/sized walls. The labour price goes up for the customer but it comes off a little slower and then a few coats of mud and she is good as new.

The only time I have seen walls so bad that they almost had to replace the drywall was when removing vinyl from new drywall that wasn't even sealed.
OneCallJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #12

painting on wall paper

We usually remove old wallpaper before painting, although I always tell customers that with wallpaper, you never know what you're going to get. It might come off easily, it might not. Removal might rip up the wall beneath it, or it might not. You never really know for sure until you start removing it.

I agree that pretty often you find walls that were never textured, primed, or painted, but were then wallpapered. In those cases, even if it trashes the wall beneath the paper, you just have to texture it (no easy task for a homeowner, obviously, but it can certainly be done without replacing the drywall and will result in a better finished look).

If you want to paint old wallpaper, you should first test a small section--try to remove a little bit at a loose corner. If it comes off easily and the glue layer isn't like concrete, it's worth removing. If not, you might just want to seal it up as suggested above, and paint it.
Justin@VPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:36 AM   #13
Super Master Painter

painting on wall paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrashand View Post
The house was built ten years ago and they put wall paper directly on the sheetrock and then installed the cabinetry on the papered walls. I want to paint my bathroom and paint over the wall paper...how complicated is this and what do I need to do to prep the walls..

Thanks!!

hello Sandra,

heres a secret, sometimes the paper will pull off in sheets, i know cause ive been doin it for 12 yrs ...........check your paper and save yourself a lot of work............if the paper is on there and i mean ON there then you take a utilty knife and cut out all of the seames (theyre ugly) then you spackle over the cut out spots then you sand them and spakle again and sand again then you prime the entire bathroom with Zinsser cover stain oil primer then you caulk the perimeter around the base board and the ceiling and the corners then you finish paint with 2 coats of semi-gloss of your choice, i recommend M.A.B or Sherwin Williams..............the best way to deal with wallpaper is to remove it........... if you want to remove it ask me and ill tell you how

Last edited by Ole34; 02-02-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote