Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #1

Share |

Painting a wall that had a wall paper border removed

I am in the middle of painting my living room and kitchen. In the living room there was a wallpaper border that was peeling badly that I removed. The current paint on the walls look good. I was going to sand the area where the border was to blend in the old lines where the border was painted around previously. Should I also lightly sand the entire wall? Or should I just look for imperfections and sand them smooth and then scrub the wall with TSP and then prime and paint? Thank you for any help you can give me.

Brandon_Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #2

Brandon, I would say that while you're at it, a nice scuff-sanding of the entire surface would be a great idea. You can do this with a sponge sander, a pole sander, or even just some folded up sandpaper. It's amazing how much "gunk" can be imbedded in an old paint job. Just be sure to clean up the dust off the walls before painting.

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #3

Thanks for the answer! I have a couple of drywall sponge sanders. I will go over the walls with them. Saves me a lot of work. The kitchen itself had old old wallpaper and It's taken me about 3 days to clean up the drywall, float the wall, and get it into shape. Looks like the rest of the job will be fairly easy now. Again thank your for the response
Old 07-10-2011, 04:33 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Be sure to use an oil primer or Gardz. A latex primer will not lock down any residual paste( adhesive)
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (07-10-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Be sure to use an oil primer or Gardz. A latex primer will not lock down any residual paste( adhesive)
Yup. Wallpaper borders and the adhesives that held them in place are on my work of the devil list.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Yup. Wallpaper borders and the adhesives that held them in place are on my work of the devil list.
Amen to that..........what's worse is when a homeowner removes the border with lots of water/vinegar/wallpaper stripper and then does not wash the drips off the wall. Then you go to paint over it and have streaks everywhere!
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:34 AM   #7

Again thank you for the responses everyone.

I was going to use Oil Based Kilz on the section where the border was at. I am currently patching small chips and holes that were hidden beneath the border. I sanded the majority of the residue off and it feels very smooth and clean to the touch. However I'm going to clean everything before priming.

At least this is not bad as my kitchen was. I removed 30 year old wall paper and found lots of new "fun" repairs to do on the drywall that took me about 2 weeks of working on to get straightened out.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for your help, I've been lurking for a few weeks and just reading, and I've learned a ton over that course of time.